The Student Room Group

Advanced Learner Loan Help Needed

I've had no end of trouble applying for this loan.
First, I had trouble logging into my account and the password recovery link only led to an error. After a number of phone calls, a non-existent secret answer email and my address being inexplicably changed to one from Leeds which I've never heard of before, an adviser was finally able to send me the secret answer email.

Then, when I finally gained access to my account, because the online system doesn't allow for the fact I lived in Scotland but will be studying in England, I couldn't apply online because it kept sending me to SAAS who won't fund courses lower than HE. I phoned several times for help with this and eventually, despite meeting the eligibility criteria, was told incorrectly by an adviser that I couldn't apply because I lived in Scotland.The student services team at the college then contacted them on my behalf and discovered that all I had to do to apply was use the paper form.
Since doing that, I've now received a letter telling me that they can't accept my passport as proof of ID because it has expired even though the expiry date is 2024!I have phoned twice in regards to this, the first time I was told it could be a data entry error but they couldn't see it on the system yet so I was to phone back in 48hrs or send in my passport. Needless to say I don't feel too confident about sending in my passport.The second time I called (around 4-5 days later), the adviser I spoke to said he couldn't see my passport details and it should get to the right department by next week! I am supposed to start the course next Monday but I can't even enrol without the loan. How can I find out what is going on and how long this is going to take?
(edited 7 years ago)
How long does it usually take for queries to be answered on here? I'm incredibly worried that the confusion involving my application is going to cost me my place on my course but I'd really rather not phone again since it usually isn't any help. :frown:
Hi,

The passport should be accepted if it expires 2024 as this would be considered a valid passport. As we cannot access your account on the Student Room I would advise you to call us on 0300 100 0607 in order for us to access your account and check your application.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending