Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AS Results *Advice needed*

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Thanks in advance for replies. I'm looking for some advice and I'd appreciate anyone's input.
    Okay, so my GCSE grades were 8A*s and 2 As. However, I've gone on to achieve CDEE at AS Level in biology, physics, maths and chemistry respectively. As you can see, these grades are far below where I should be and I'll take responsibility for that. I'm just stuck on the best option for progression.
    I have a few options.
    1. Carry on with the subjects and work my socks off to realistically achieve Cs overall and ending up in a less respected university
    2. Resit AS alongside A2 (possible but a lot of work and pressure)
    3. Restart the year, spending 3 years completing A levels and apply to uni next year.

I'm hoping to study Physics at University, ideally a Russell Group. What do you think the best option is for me?

I'd go for 2

Personally I'd go for 3- with option 2 I think it would be way too much work, and you could possibly do worse than this year.

Thanks for your input. Do you think RG universities would down on this at all when applying in 12 months time with (hopefully) significantly better AS grades?

I'd repeat. Maybe at another school (if possible!) so you don't have the awkwardness of your friends being in the year above and stuff. Also, id be like a new start. Obvs from your gcse results you're very smart and maybe got complacent/didnt revise as much, I dunno. This way you'd have the best chance of getting the best overall a-level results rather then scraping a few c's. Also, if you were to repeat all your as' next year alongside your a levels Im not sure you'd do much better and may even do worse. The content in bio would be too much; maths in as and a2 quite different; physics a2 is a huge step up from as (apaz!); chem, like physics (apaz), a lot harder at a2 then as.

I am in a similar situation but because 2 out of 4 of my courses are now linear, I'm doing what you've stated as option 2. Honestly results day was such a wake up call for me and I'm relying quite a lot on my personal statement for now. Also, I will be begging my teachers to raise my target grades so I can get into one of my University choices.
    I'm not sure if this was of any help but do consider whether your courses are linear or not, whether your personal statement is good enough and whether your teachers are willing to raise your predicted grades.

I wish you the best!

id say resit the year and drop chemistry.

I need help too I'm so confused it's my second year of college and last year was alright but this year is horrible I hate all my lessons and I fell like I don't fit into college not to mention my best friend went to a different college and I'm terrified that I wont be able to get into uni if anyone has any advice I'd be so greatful cuz right now I just feel horrible
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.