Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Law Firms and Credit Checks?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hello all,

I was wondering whether people would be able to answer whether a "typical" law firm would do a credit check on someone before they joined?

And what about pwc or E&Y legal teams for example?

I have a particularly rubbish credit score at the moment and so I was interested in seeing how much impact this would have on potential applications.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

As far as I am aware, the issue is if you have CCJs or have declared bankruptcy. The SRA can turn down your application at various stages (academic/vocational/qualification) if there is evidence of you not being able to manage your finances and the above are prime examples of that.

If that is the case, then it isn't the law firm that questions it, but the SRA, so it will apply to ALL firms.

But there is a big difference between a poor credit history and a CCJ/bankruptcy. If you are in doubt, you should speak to the SRA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have just been offered a job at a law firm and I had an alert from Equifax telling me someone had just looked at my credit rating, so it is everyone!

Don't worry too much though - defaults drop off after 6 years and as JSP it's CCJs or any type of insolvency that matters.

Ah ok then, well that is fine!

I was worried the couple of defaults I've had on credit card repayments would be bad, plus virgin media ruined my credit rating for a while by consistently spelling my name wrong (despite multiple corrections) when they tried to take monthly payments which constantly led to bounced payments against my name.

I didn't realise that would damage my credit rating as much as it did, so have been slowly re-building it up for a little while and was worried about whether law firms would be bothered about that or not.

Thanks both of you!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.