Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Taking down notes at A-level... (Help)

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

(Original post by studentproblems2)
    With alevels you need to filter through information because you'll be given a lot of it. Doing past papers and looking at mark schemes will tell you what examiners are looking for
    With sociology we were literally given the studies to learn to use in the exam so your college or sixth form will have stuff prepared for you
    That's great!, at least I'm not in the absolute dark and can be somewhat put at ease.

(Original post by rimstone)
    best of luck to you, dont worry too much about notes. In BIO both my teacher told us not to take notes, which was a good idea really, since we learnt the course in no time and was so prepared from the extra time, most ppl did great.
    In history i never used a single note, since my teachers made a revision guide, year 13, we had to use our notes, but mines were horrible since you learn things here and there in a range of days so i got notes of the net.
    Chem- i took notes, but never used them since the revision guide was much more helpful, since chem notes are just some words with a bunch of equations you wont understand a day later.
    Maths-speaks for itself note wise.

I know people whove done a ton of subjects and most people just dont use their notes, unless to get a few facts to add to flash cards. you really cant revise from your notes, which can 200-500 pages of random info.
    I guess it differs with the different subjects. At GCSEs history I was give a revision guide made by the teachers which was great and I didn't have to make my own notes, hopefully the teachers would be somewhat generous in that sense in my new school as well.
    I guess I better buy those revision guides then, people had made it seem like revision guides would be useless at A-level.
    Thanks for the advice.

(Original post by artichoke10)
    Can only speak for English lit cause I didn't take the others. This subject can be a real pain so just make sure you have bought all the texts (plays, poetry etc.) you need ASAP, check any past year's class email groups for resources as this could give surprisingly good revision notes. Also with poetry specifically, if you know what poems you're gonna do each lesson then its a good idea to google analysis beforehand so you have a rough idea what you're talking about so you can give your opinion of what the language means! I wish I did that every lesson cause you're literally speechless if you have no idea whatsoever. Notes wise, I tried to take notes as much as possible from the teacher and the class. That way you don't have to worry about what parts to take down if someone's talking real fast and can just filter out/in more depending on what you hear! I suppose you could do the same in the other subjects tbh. studentproblems2 is right, dig and dig some more for mark schemes and other materials cause it can be gold for revision come exam season
    Thanks you! That's a great peice of advice for English lit especially, I hadn't thought of using previous class notes revision tips. It will be difficult finding past papers though as I'm sitting a new specification, but I'll try and make use of the specimen papers and assessment objects to find out what the examiner wants to hear.
    Reading before the lessons is a vital tip I've heard from many thank you I'll make sure to find as much analysis online so I can have a rough idea of what I'll be talking about.

Thanks again.

(Original post by RomeoSantos)
    pretty much was spoon fed at sixth form as well. its not as bad as its made out to be
    That's great! Thanks for putting me at ease.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.