The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Classics

Hi,
I'm looking to apply for classical subjects at a variety of unis, and what attracts me to the classics degree at durham is the fact that you only have to do one Language (I would be wanting to start Greek from beginners). However, clearly if in the first year they already teach you to a-level standard, how advanced does it get in second and third years?? is it very difficult or do you find that once you know the majority of grammar, it's just a matter of reading texts and expanding vocabulary? i know that if i am having any doubts about the language i should go for classical past, but i actually find the classics module more flexible (once past the mandatory language component of course)!! also, what format are the exams for the languages in?
on classics at durham in general, what is it like? are the resources good, both in terms of available books and lectures and their ability to teach interestingly?

thank you!!
Reply 1
Hi,
As nobody has replied I thought I'd give it a shot! I'm a Classics student, just going into my second year. Unfortunately, this does mean that I can't tell you how advanced the languages get in second or third year but from what I've been told (as long as people aren't lying to me!) the first year is the hardest for language. After that it's meant to be more about learning vocab and reading texts. I did Beginners' Greek this year, which I really enjoyed, but it was pretty fast-paced so not always easy. You have to be prepared to put quite a bit of time in! I'm going to be doing Intermediate Greek this year, as well as starting Beginners' Latin though, so it hasn't put me off! You don't say if you've done any of the languages before. If you have any knowledge, even pre-GCSE, I'd say it's very helpful but I started off with only the tiniest bit of Greek and passed the module. As for Classics generally, it's normally very good. The lecturers are good, on the whole, although there are exceptions. There's plenty of books available, although in the first year most of your learning is done from information packs the lecturers prepare. Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. If you have any more questions, about Classics or Durham more generally, feel free to PM me.

Sophie
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Latest

Trending

Trending