The Student Room Group

I would like to open a food business

I am currently doing A levels in the UK and am retaking to get AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. I have a B (1 mark of an A) in English Literature AS. I am planning to do Computer Science next year.

This will sound weird, but I'm into food a lot even though I can't cook much (but i will start soon). I am not into fine dining, just simple delicious food. I was thinking about sometime after getting my degree to open a food truck...

The only thing is, I don't know where to start.

I would have the support of my parents and another thing do you think this is a good business venture?

Thank you.
'a food truck' is a pretty broad idea!
What style of food?
What price range for your products?
Why a food truck over a shop?
Where do you plan to operate?
How would you finance the initial costs?
Have you considered things like permits, food hygiene certificates, labour costs?
Have you done any research at all into what it takes to run a successful food truck?

starting a business could take a hundred page business plan!
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
'a food truck' is a pretty broad idea!
What style of food?
What price range for your products?
Why a food truck over a shop?
Where do you plan to operate?
How would you finance the initial costs?
Have you considered things like permits, food hygiene certificates, labour costs?
Have you done any research at all into what it takes to run a successful food truck?

starting a business could take a hundred page business plan!

I would like to have food that is not too specific but just random but simple e.g. burger and fries, Pies, Milkshakes, Cakes etc. Just food that is quick to make whilst people are on the run.

The price range for the products should be fairly low, nothing too high.

I would choose a food truck because it's more flexible than having a shop and cheaper. Also because I feel like it's just a good idea and maybe there is a gap in the market for it as I don't think it's highly saturated.

I would like to operate in a busy area maybe London/ or even at a market somewhere.

About the initial finance costs, my farther can help me as we believe wealth should be shared within the family.

I am aware that I will need permits and various certificates.

I have done some research in what a successful food truck will need.

The issue is, I still don't know where to start and whether or not this is a good idea or not? Could I do some course in this sort of industry? Do I need to know someone who has done it? Where should I get the food truck? Etc...

Thanks.
Original post by Kira Yagami
I would choose a food truck because it's more flexible than having a shop and cheaper. Also because I feel like it's just a good idea and maybe there is a gap in the market for it as I don't think it's highly saturated.

I would like to operate in a busy area maybe London/ or even at a market somewhere.

Street food is becoming incredibly popular, especially in London, you may be in for a lot of competition.
Original post by moonkatt
Street food is becoming incredibly popular, especially in London, you may be in for a lot of competition.

Yeah that is true I guess.

I am aware of how difficult and risky this venture may be. I don't have a specific idea, I just want to try something out and I am willing to put a lot of effort in it - it is probably the only other thing I would attempt other than going through university and getting a degree and so on.

I'm just asking how I would start all this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kira Yagami
Yeah that is true I guess.

I am aware of how difficult and risky this venture may be. I don't have a specific idea, I just want to try something out and I am willing to put a lot of effort in it - it is probably the only other thing I would attempt other than going through university and getting a degree and so on.

I'm just asking how I would start all this?

I've moved your thread from the a level action to careers, you're more likely to come across someone whose set up a business here, hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice :smile:
Original post by moonkatt
I've moved your thread from the a level action to careers, you're more likely to come across someone whose set up a business here, hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice :smile:

I'd suggest to create a tour of food - they are very popular nowadays as everyone who travels whant to try some local food. So if you are living in a quite big city, create something similar, it will be popular as hell, I promise :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest