The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jakethomas99
Hi guys,
I've never posted on here before but I really need advice for choosing a uni! So I loved Cambridge when I visited, and I want to study somewhere with high standards, but I also want to have fun and make memories, and I worry that I'll miss out on the social side of uni at Cambridge! Can anyone give me their own experience of life at Cambridge?

Right going back to the original point as we appear to have gone off a tangent here, I shall address your points as follows:

- High standards: what exactly do you mean by high standards? To be fair if we knew what course you want to study then we could give you a more accurate answer. Higher entry requirements at one university doesn't necessarily mean it has "higher standards". Standards are "high" at most universities but ultimately you're not going to get a 1st or 2:1 unless you work hard so really, you need to put in the "high standards" i.e. a a 1st from say another Russell Group university far outranks 2:2 from Cambridge. You will be applying to a range of universities so you shouldn't be dead cert on one single university.

-Also to suggest you want to come to Cambridge because it has "high standards" is a silly reason. First and foremost your interest should be the course you are applying for, why do you want to read it, why are you passionate about it etc. Secondly, would you thrive in the supervision system and a term of 8 intense weeks with lots of essay writing etc? Not to say it would be any easier elsewhere but don't underestimate the amount of work you would need to do and that 8 weeks is really nothing at all. Long holidays are a bonus though :smile:

-I was only at Cambridge for a year (for a Master's) now at the "other place" for a DPhil. But all I can say is that year I spent there was one of the best of my life and I found myself signing up to far more activities and events than I had time for and I still managed to work and play hard. It's easy for me to say but imo, Cambridge is one of the best places you could possibly wish to be a student at, facilities aside, the breadth and diversity of student clubs and societies e.g. playing Rugby at college level, American Football for the uni, debating at the Cambridge Union, Tiddlywinks on a Wednesday night, clubbing in London if the clubs in Cambridge don't satisfy etc. Ok it's not a big city like London but London is literally a bus or train ride away. But I had a great time at Cambridge and I am sure you will too. Oh and the May Balls, best nights of my life.

Cambridge is many things but boring it certainly ain't. I say apply and give it a shot.
Reply 81
Original post by Jazzy Foot
Cambridge
Oxford
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Birmingham (Mason College)

The only UK universities to have produced PMs. Edinburgh is generally the best in Scotland and after UCL, Imperial and LSE I would say is the best in the UK. Birmingham and Glasgow should be in the top ten.

Durham is just a jackass college.

In what way are you qualified to talk about the quality of those universities? Did you go to any of them?
Original post by alow
In what way are you qualified to talk about the quality of those universities? Did you go to any of them?

In another thread he/she/it suggested that black people were a problem and that Muslims were savages and barbarians. So I'm not sure I would take any of the advice on board.
Reply 83
Original post by }-{ }-{
In another thread he/she/it suggested that black people were a problem and that Muslims were savages and barbarians. So I'm not sure I would take any of the advice on board.

Ah. So they're that person.
Reply 84
Original post by alow
Ah. So they're that person.

Please don't rise to this debate. The OP is probably long gone by now due to some of the downright offensive stuff posted by others. This time last year I would have thought " leave them to it." And that's the sad part in my opinion. Potential applicants from " ordinary" ( general term I know) lives would have read this page and thought "they are up their a***s. That's the sad bit. Widening access will not continue with cr*p such as the posts on this thread.
Reply 85
Original post by 210555
Please don't rise to this debate. The OP is probably long gone by now due to some of the downright offensive stuff posted by others. This time last year I would have thought " leave them to it." And that's the sad part in my opinion. Potential applicants from " ordinary" ( general term I know) lives would have read this page and thought "they are up their a***s. That's the sad bit. Widening access will not continue with cr*p such as the posts on this thread.

What on Earth are you on about?
Reply 86
Original post by alow
What on Earth are you on about?

Fair question. I suppose I mean even bothering to rise to the debate with@jazzyfoot whose postings I find offensive ( just my opinion). Responding just adds fuel to the fire I think. Reading such debates, " this uni is superior" as a potential applicant a year ago would have left me cold. Many unis have their merits. I think on that we agree?
Reply 87
Original post by 210555
Fair question. I suppose I mean even bothering to rise to the debate with@jazzyfoot whose postings I find offensive ( just my opinion). Responding just adds fuel to the fire I think. Reading such debates, " this uni is superior" as a potential applicant a year ago would have left me cold. Many unis have their merits. I think on that we agree?

Yeah we agree, which is why I was disagreeing with him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending