The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine Admission Tests 2018 Entry ( UKCAT, GAMSAT, BMAT)

I know it's really early especially since the 2017 cycle admissions have not ended BUT I was wondering how/when to start preparing for the entry tests?

I'm currently going into my second year of Biomed so I will hopefully be applying to med school next summer. I'm thinking of doing all the admission tests but I'm not sure how early to start revising? I know the BMAT incorporates certain things, for example, in physics, that I have not covered since GCSE, so should I start getting ready to learn them??????
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Pa97_
I know it's really early especially since the 2017 cycle admissions have not ended BUT I was wondering how/when to start preparing for the entry tests?

I'm currently going into my second year of Biomed so I will hopefully be applying to med school next summer. I'm thinking of doing all the admission tests but I'm not sure how early to start revising? I know the BMAT incorporates certain things, for example, in physics, that I have not covered since GCSE, so should I start getting ready to learn them??????

It's best to lay the foundations while you're still (relatively) free in the start of second year. By this I mean going over the key areas of each entry test you are thinking of taking. So for me with the UKCAT I've started to work on my mental arithmetic, reading speed etc because the sections will test those. Then plan to get down to more specific practice (guides, medify etc) nearer the exam date.

p.s. there's already a thread for 2018 cycle applicants :smile:
Original post by juno96
It's best to lay the foundations while you're still (relatively) free in the start of second year. By this I mean going over the key areas of each entry test you are thinking of taking. So for me with the UKCAT I've started to work on my mental arithmetic, reading speed etc because the sections will test those. Then plan to get down to more specific practice (guides, medify etc) nearer the exam date.

p.s. there's already a thread for 2018 cycle applicants :smile:

Thank you very much! Do you have a link to the thread?
Essential UKCAT Information - 2018 Medicine Applicants (Adapted from information here)

UKCAT Sections:
1) Verbal Reasoning
2) Quantitative Reasoning
3) Abstract Reasoning
4) Decision Making (Introduced in 2016; awaiting individual university confirmation as to whether this will contribute to overall score)
5) Situational Judgement (Introduced in 2014 and does affect overall score)

Provisional Dates
Test Dates: 1st July 2017 - 5th October 2017
Registration Deadline: 21st September 2017
Test Location: Pearson Vue test centre
Test Fee: £65 (£80 - if taking test after 1st September 2017)

Average UKCAT Scores (2015)
Verbal Reasoning: 577
Quantitative Reasoning: 685
Abstract Reasoning: 640
Decision Analysis: 629

Free UKCAT Resources
Official Practice Questions
Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Verbal Reasoning Practice
Verbal Reasoning Practice

Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
GCSE Maths Practice

Abstract Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Abstract Reasoning Practice
Abstract Reasoning Practice

Situational Judgement Practice (More Advanced)
Goodluck to everyone doing Gamsat this year! I did it twice too - its one of the most draining exams i have ever taken
First time i did it I used old A2 books and notes from first year of University - basically anything i could find online
Second time i went on the Gradmed intensive course - scored much better and am looking forward to starting Medschool in September 2017.
I am selling all the material they gave me plus a few essays of my own - this is all 2016 material. Please check out my listing on ebay or forward to someone who you know needs these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/282486730224?

GRADMED teachers have basically sat these exams and remembered the questions year after year and made these books with questions coming straight out of gamsat exams. Do I think you need to go on the Gradmed course in London? No. The full prep course costs £2650 while the intense course costs £1265. I paid for the intensive course. I cannot fault the teachers at all and I appreciated that learning environment but they basically taught from these books. The questions we did in class were mainly from the booklets pictured and then they told us to do the questions in the books at home. I went because I knew I needed these books and no one was selling the most updated versions.Definitely worth paying less and getting the books and all notes. These books have been well looked after and are basically like new. You may find the odd pencil mark where i've circled an answer or made a note of something - I will do my best to remove as much of the pencil markings of answers as I can (i will leave the notes i've made if i think they will be useful) Section 1 essay writing I found very hard - my top tip for this is www.ted.com, the news and practice! Write out essays and keep up to date as much as you can. I will also include a print out of my essays that I wrote out on common topics that crop up in the exam. FREE DELIVERY UK MAINLAND ONLY - Books are in Birmingham if you want to collect
Can someone check my BMAT essay? Attached it below. Will definitely appreciate the feedback. Exams are coming up soon! So stressed :frown:
Hey I am applying for the 2019 entry so I am in second year I sat the Gamsat twice now and received my score yesterday!
March 2017: Section 1: 46 Section 2: 62 Section 3: 44 Overall: 49 (10th percentile)
September 2017: Section 1: 49 Section 2: 62 Section 3: 52 Overall: 54 (40th percentile)

I have no clue how to improve S1 and S3 mainly because I am such a mess with it all.
Either way I am definitely doing the UKCAT in the Summer for the other Universities. Unsure about BMAT for Imperial or Oxford but will see later..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending