The Student Room Group

Medicine A100 Leeds 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi

I am looking to apply for Medicine through Access to Leeds. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to write for the Applicant Statement in the A2L application?

Original post by heythere247
It was hard but the thing that tipped it was that I was an Access to Leeds student so my offer was lowered to ABB but only if I selected Leeds as my firm. Luckily I didn't need it in the end but there was no way I was turning down that offer so that kind of decided for me. I have no regrets though I love it here, such a great city to live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by medapplicant2016
Hi everyone, I'm a first year medical student at Leeds university, so I did BMAT/MMI interviews last year, so if you have any questions about the application process/course/etc., feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer! (I also interviewed and got a place at Cardiff and interviewed at Newcastle, so if you have any questions about the application process there feel free to ask).

Good luck
xxx

Hi well done for getting a place :smile: if you don't mind me asking what did you get in BMAT and what academics do you have? What are MMI's like? I know you can't give specifics but what sort of things do you need to know (please be vague if you have to as I'm aware you are not allowed to talk about it) :smile:
Hi everyone, I'm a first year medical student at Leeds university, so I did BMAT/MMI interviews last year, so if you have any questions about the application process/course/etc., feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer! (I also interviewed and got a place at Cardiff and interviewed at Newcastle, so if you have any questions about the application process there feel free to ask).

Good luck
xxx

Hello, Hii,
Thanks for offering for your help
I'm wavering between leeds and Southhampton
My UKCAT is 670 btw
I was wondering, what was the lowest/average BMAT score of the successful applicants.
What kind of personal statement content was generally being accepted (that's a weird question but I'm fretting)
Also, how much is the personal statement used in the application process?

Also what was your BMAT score and personal statement like?

Good luck
xxx

]
Well done on getting in, how you finding the first year?
How was the BMAT like, easier/tougher/different from specimens, any pointers for BMAT, what did you and your friends achieve, any tips for the writing tasks

In terms of PS, any hints or tips?
g

Hi, thanks for your questions..I didn't apply to Soton myself but one of my friends got a place there. My BMAT score was 4.7, 4.9, 4A, which is pretty average but was good enough to get me an interview at Leeds. My friends scored around this, some higher and some lower, but I know people that got interviews with scores around 3.5 - it depends on the cohort.
Don't worry too much about your PS, just include all the things you've done and especially reflect on your experiences, they don't just want a list. Do some reading and include a comment on this as it makes you stand out from others a bit more (although this is hard!). Your PS has to be strong and tick all of their boxes, but they'll use it alongside your BMAT to decide whether to offer you an interview or not, so don't stress too much. My PS just included my work experience, as well as a reflection on a book on ethics I'd read and a comment on the NHS and its current situation, but make yours unique.
Well done on your UKCAT, that's a really good score! I'm not sure how much emphasis Soton places on UKCAT, but my advice is definitely apply strategically, so only apply there if you've got a reasonable chance of getting in.
I definitely recommend Leeds, I've been loving it so far and the people here are so nice, it's definitely a friendly city, and the course seems really well organised here.
Good luck with your applications!

Hello again,
In your advice to another user on this caht, you recommended reading a book on ethics in preparation for the essay section for the BMAT (your section 3 is amazing btw!) Which ethics book would you recommend?
Obviously you don't want your PS to appear in the Times (!), so to speak, but I am happy to proof-read/edit it for you if you re able to send it to me securely somehow (sorry, just joined TSR today, so have not looked at ins and outs of it!) By the way, I am an ex-medic, 3 degrees, A level Biology tutor, and have written several articles in journals internationally, plus had a book published: "Systemic Pathology".
Original post by Bright_Gift
Hello again,
In your advice to another user on this caht, you recommended reading a book on ethics in preparation for the essay section for the BMAT (your section 3 is amazing btw!) Which ethics book would you recommend?

Hi! The specific one I read was called 'A very short introduction to medical ethics' by Tony Hope, which I really enjoyed, but there's plenty of others if that's an area you're interested in. I also read up a lot on funding in the NHS and shortage of junior doctors etc. Theres also news about increasing places at medical schools by 25% which I'd advise you to read about.
Hi! The specific one I read was called 'A very short introduction to medical ethics' by Tony Hope, which I really enjoyed, but there's plenty of others if that's an area you're interested in. I also read up a lot on funding in the NHS and shortage of junior doctors etc. Theres also news about increasing places at medical schools by 25% which I'd advise you to read about.

Hey thanks for your posts they have been really helpful! I just wanted to ask you about the book you mentioned. Is it good for interview prep? Like does it cover things like euthanasia/abortion, ethical arguments (for example patient A refuses to take treatment, what do you do?), the 4 branches of ethics such as autonomy, beneficience, etc. And also does it include things like confidentiality/consent?
Reply 28
Does anyone know what bmat score is needed for an interview at Leeds if you get full academic scoring?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hkjljkio
Does anyone know what bmat score is needed for an interview at Leeds if you get full academic scoring?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Varies each year. Last year it was pretty low, like below 4.0s. This year could be different who knows. Btw will less people receive a full academic score this year compared to last year because this year lots of people don't have 3 cashed in AS levels?
Reply 30
Original post by Mathsmad123
Varies each year. Last year it was pretty low, like below 4.0s. This year could be different who knows. Btw will less people receive a full academic score this year compared to last year because this year lots of people don't have 3 cashed in AS levels?

Ahhhhh right okay, do you think it's likely to be low this year? And can full academic scoring compensate for a low bmat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I've applied to Leeds as well its the only BMAT uni i applied to
just wondering whether id get the full academic score even though I got 4A at AS with the new linear a levels
i also got 6A* 4A at GCSE
ive been predicted A*AA for A2

BMAT NINJA HAS THE BEST TEST PREP WITH WORKED ANSWERS To EXAM PAPERS its really cheap as well only £25 for worked solutions
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It seems like a sensible hypothesis. 9A* is much harder to achieve (in my opinion) than 3A at AS - particular when It includes specific subjects like Eng Language. Consequently, I think BMAT may become more vital in separating in applicants.

I mean, as long as you have around 24/27 (8A*/AAB), you'd be in great stead.

Because people are taking linear A levels this year, does that mean they will have no chance of getting 3 cashed in AS levels?
And yeah 24/27 is what you would need at least i reckon. 8A* and 1A would be 26/27
Original post by hkjljkio
Ahhhhh right okay, do you think it's likely to be low this year? And can full academic scoring compensate for a low bmat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea tbh. It varies each year. But a full academic score does compensate for a low BMAT score, as long as your BMAT score isn't too low. Don't forget they also check your PS and they are really harsh when it comes to the PS.
Original post by Usaamah
Hi

I am looking to apply for Medicine through Access to Leeds. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to write for the Applicant Statement in the A2L application?

Unfortunately I didn't know about the scheme before I applied but was luckily automatically identified as an A2L student. As a result I didn't write a statement so unfortunately I can't be of much help in that respect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is a decent bmat score for leeds to be considered or to get the bonus point?
Original post by Window16
What is a decent bmat score for leeds to be considered or to get the bonus point?

I think anything above a 5 is good for Leeds. Try and get around 5.5 if you wanna be more secure. Above 5.5, give yourself a pat on the back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hi guys,
i have 8 A*'s, 2 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, 4 A's at As-level and predicted 3 A*'s for A2. I feel like i have a very strong personal statment. how many points would i get and is it good enough to apply?
Reply 39
Hi guys, I got 8 A*'s, 2 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, 4 A's at As-level and predicted 3 A*'s for A2. I feel like I have a very strong personal statment. How many points would I get and is it good enough to apply (ie compared to the other years)?

what would be the minimum and ideal BMAT score that I would need?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending