Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK to USA visa eligibility???

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    So I've got an English degree and I'm currently doing my PGCE. I'm hoping to move to the US after a couple of years teaching in the UK but I'm unsure how eligible I'll be for a visa.

    What's my chance of being granted a USA visa for teaching English?

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    Depends. I don't think English teachers are in high demand since it's more "skilled" labor they're after ( can this person do what a considerable % of American citizens cannot do? (E.g. Physics, Chemistry, History (especially European History))) and if you can secure a job already (is there a company that would be willing to sponsor a visa for this individual?)

    It's tough for sure. Do a lot of research. Your best chance is to get an organization to sponsor you, though that is really tough especially in professions which may be considered to be national only (though teaching isn't really one of them, e.g. high demand for native English teachers in Japan etc.)
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.