Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Uni Open Days

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I've Just booked my Open Day at Cardiff Metropolitan University! EEK! AND my Open day at University of Lincoln! AARGH!

Cardiff Met is 26th November and Lincoln is 29th October Anyone else booked on these open days?

Also, any advice on what to bring? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about bring too much stuff because they'll usually give you a bag of free things (like a notebook, pen and program for the bag) to encourage you to go there. I'd recommend taking a little bit of paper and a pen incase they don't give you any and you want to write anything down (but don't take a huge, heavy notebook!), a drink and maybe a little snack. You'll probably spend a lot of the day walking around and you don't want to get tired having to carry loads of stuff and there might be a long queue for drinks/food. I liked taking pictures on open days so if your phone doesn't have a good camera it might be nice to bring something else along with you.

If you won't be driving there then I also recommend buying train tickets online now to save yourself a bit of money.

I hope you enjoy your open days!

Open days are super important! It looks like Firefly13 gave some really good tips for getting the most out of your open days. The 3 most important areas to make sure you cover when you're at the open day are:

The course you want to study - (Obviously very important) Make sure you are happy with the learning environment you will be in. Big lecture theatres or small seminar rooms? 4 hours a week or 40? Do you think the University is well equipped for your subject? If you're walking into the computer science department and you see PC's circa 2007 then alarm bells should be ringing etc.

Accommodation - It's really important to look at multiple accommodation buildings. Most Universities will have several halls of residency but will only show you the best ones they have to offer. En-suites, new kitchen and all the bells and whistles to go with it. You might not end up living in that particular building and end up severely disappointed to realise you're now in a block of halls that has 1 shared bathroom between a floor of 10 people and the brickwork is crumbling like a curly-wurly.

The environment - Don't limit yourself to only the campus on your open day. Take an hour to go and explore the town see whats available. Make sure you're happy with it and that it suits your needs. It's easy to brush it off as 'it'll do' but remember you're living here for the next few years and you need to be comfortable with whats around. Supermarkets, Nightclubs, Pubs, Gyms, Retail stores, Takeaways etc - which are important to you? Do you want quiet and relaxed or lively and buzzing? If you plan to take a car to Uni you should ABSOLUTELY drive yourself to the open day - get a feel for the journey between home and campus. Also take some time to drive round the local town and see what the traffic is like and take note of the parking restrictions in key areas around town and campus that you might inhabit.

In terms of what you should take for the Open Day I think firefly pretty much has you covered. Don't take too much as you will inevitably leave with more than you came with. Do take pictures to show to your family - 2nd opinions are worth it. We recommend preparing a comprehensive checklist of things you want to look at or find out about whilst there - the last thing you want to do is forget to find out about something crucial, especially if you're travelling far.

If you were interested we have an upcoming open day on October 1st for January and September 2017. http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/admissions/open-days/

Hopefully you found this helpful and best of luck at your open days!

University of Buckingham Team
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.