Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If you ever go to Canada and someone tries to steal from you don't fight back

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by joecphillips)
    So basically this is because you don't like what I post, you are saying charged and convicted are 2 different things I never said that they were not, I hadn't even suggested he had been convicted I said he is facing the possibility of a longer jail sentence than the people who tried to car jack his mother.

on this as it is clear that you don't actually care about the issue you just care that it is me who has posted this.

The title wasn't misleading and it isn't stupid he has been charged and he could get a longer sentence than the 2 car jackers,
    The incident seems to have happened, but none of the sources I've found are particularly clear on what happened to the attempted car jackers, e.g:

“My son went into the house, and I happen to have a baseball bat beside the front door.“My son chased this guy for three blocks, across a 149 Street, caught him on the other side of 149 Street, and things went south from there for that guy.”

Another source says the carjacker that was caught needed to go to hospital following the assault.

We do not know exactly what happened, but it does not sound like reasonable force was used. Therefore they will have to face the consequences of their actions. Vigilante justice does not feature in the law books of the UK, or as far as I know, Canada.

(Original post by joecphillips)
    You will face the possibility of a longer jail sentence than the theif.

Self defence has to be proportional. The police and court will determine whether in the circumstances his actions were proportional. If they were he will be found not guilty.

What is the problem?

Also that link doesn't actually give any description of the events that took place.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.