Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is postgraduate Medicine worth it?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

So I've wanted to do medicine for a long time, I've invested so much time and effort into to getting in but I got AAB and I missed my place at medical school.

I'm going to study Audiology now its good but its no medicine. Now the plan is to graduate in Audiology work in the NHS for a few years and open up private audiology clinics offering different services, or I could potentially see myself buying my way into a 50:50 partnership with a friend who has recently opened up audiology clinic.

After investing this much time and effort I really don't want to be on a band 5/6 salary for the rest of my life as a audiologist in the NHS. I know it sounds a bit ruthless but thats me not beating around the bush. Now whether Audiology clinics are hugely profitable is yet to be seen I will have to look at this as I make my decision to go into graduate entry medicine, my friends business should be more established by then hopefully.

If the clinics are hugely profitable then I won't attempt to go into graduate entry medicine and I'll attempt to buy my way into a friends business or open up my own clinics

If the clinics are not so profitable then I'll go ahead with Medicine

Whats TSRs take on this?

You should focus on university for now. It is a waste of time trying to plan your post-uni career so precisely; you don't know how you will feel in 3 years' time. That said, I don't think I'd want to be treated by a doctor who only trained because they wanted to earn lots of money. It sounds like you're far more interested in profiting from peoples illnesses that curing them, so perhaps medicine isn't for you. :dontknow:

It's a shame you don't seem too enthusiastic about Audiology. See how you feel about it in the first year. If you want to progress, you could always go for an MSci in Audiology and aim to be a Clinical Scientist, where you will be further up the pay bands. But maybe not a great idea if it's not where your heart is.

I have to second Snufkin's post, if you're looking to get into medicine for the money you will be disappointed. There are a lot of career paths out there which offer a better return for time invested with regards to salary (and lifestyle too) that aren't medicine/healthcare.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.