The Student Room Group

English Literature or Maths for A Levels?? Help please!!

I'm currently deciding on which A levels to pick, for my GCSE's I recived 4A*'s 6A's and 1B.

I'm currently sure about picking History and Sociology and 1 year only of business studies (as) and in uni I'm drawn to studying Political economy but I'm not sure yet so I'm keeping my options opened. I'm not sure whether to pick maths or english lit, I got a B in maths but it was a very high B, and an A* in english lit. I do enjoy maths more than english because I dont like reading that much and of course we will have to read A LOT, I feel like we were 'spoon fed' a lot of the information in english and of course that will not happen at A levels. We had a maths entrence exam at my sixthform and I passed however, I'm still not sure because, maybe with my grade B at gcse I will struggle as the work load is huge as I heard but I would like to say that I do concider myself extremely hard working and I do work for my grades but would maths be too much for me?

I would just like to know which subject would be best suited for me from what I have said above and won't make me go crazy from all the work hahaha and of course get me the best grade and oppertuinities in the future.

Have any of you guys or your friends done A level maths after a B in gcse maths and still acheived good grade at the end?? Please share your experiences with me guys, thank you!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
A level English Lit is much harder than GCSE, if you don't like reading then do maths.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
A level English Lit is much harder than GCSE, if you don't like reading then do maths.

I see, thank you
Original post by valdokarina
I'm currently deciding on which A levels to pick, for my GCSE's I recived 4A*'s 6A's and 1B.

I'm currently sure about picking History and Sociology and 1 year only of business studies (as) and in uni I'm drawn to studying Political economy but I'm not sure yet so I'm keeping my options opened. I'm not sure whether to pick maths or english lit, I got a B in maths but it was a very high B, and an A* in english lit. I do enjoy maths more than english because I dont like reading that much and of course we will have to read A LOT, I feel like we were 'spoon fed' a lot of the information in english and of course that will not happen at A levels. We had a maths entrence exam at my sixthform and I passed however, I'm still not sure because, maybe with my grade B at gcse I will struggle as the work load is huge as I heard but I would like to say that I do concider myself extremely hard working and I do work for my grades but would maths be too much for me?

I would just like to know which subject would be best suited for me from what I have said above and won't make me go crazy from all the work hahaha and of course get me the best grade and oppertuinities in the future.

Have any of you guys or your friends done A level maths after a B in gcse maths and still acheived good grade at the end?? Please share your experiences with me guys, thank you!!!!

English lit keeps you on your toes
yes, there is a lot of books to read, but if you like debating and discussions, you'll really enjoy it. seriously, you can learn a lot from it and it's a highly respect A Level.

Maths too is a highly respect A level
as someone who does both, I would have to say choose by thinking about what you like
Are you more into doing sums? OR writing essays?
Reply 5
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
English lit keeps you on your toes
yes, there is a lot of books to read, but if you like debating and discussions, you'll really enjoy it. seriously, you can learn a lot from it and it's a highly respect A Level.

Maths too is a highly respect A level
as someone who does both, I would have to say choose by thinking about what you like
Are you more into doing sums? OR writing essays?

I enjoy writing essays that's why I am picking histroy and sociolgoy however I also enjoy sums like practising different questions doesnt feel like I'm forcing myself to work hard. As you do both could you tell me if with a gcse grade B in maths Would I struggle with A level maths? And do you mine telling me, personally which one do you enjoy more and find 'easier'? Thank youu :smile:
Original post by valdokarina
I enjoy writing essays that's why I am picking histroy and sociolgoy however I also enjoy sums like practising different questions doesnt feel like I'm forcing myself to work hard. As you do both could you tell me if with a gcse grade B in maths Would I struggle with A level maths? And do you mine telling me, personally which one do you enjoy more and find 'easier'? Thank youu :smile:

Sure thing, bud!

I did get a B in GCSE maths...and I'm doing fine at A level so far. Here's what you gotta do in maths to do well - whether you get a B, A or A*. You practise the questions. Then your practise the techniques & methods some more. That's all there is to it, really. So if you've got the stamina and determination, then you'll be able to keep up as long as you make sure you're confident with each topic as you go along.

Being a nerd and keen reader, I enjoy English more and also find it easier. For me, it's a lot more simple to write essays when you can give your own creative response to it. The discussions in class are also very fun too.
Having said that, Maths is still a great subject to choose, if you're really into it. Just to warn you, there's PLENTY of algebra in A Level. So if that's up your street, go for it.

Good luck with making a choice!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Sure thing, bud!

I did get a B in GCSE maths...and I'm doing fine at A level so far. Here's what you gotta do in maths to do well - whether you get a B, A or A*. You practise the questions. Then your practise the techniques & methods some more. That's all there is to it, really. So if you've got the stamina and determination, then you'll be able to keep up as long as you make sure you're confident with each topic as you go along.

Being a nerd and keen reader, I enjoy English more and also find it easier. For me, it's a lot more simple to write essays when you can give your own creative response to it. The discussions in class are also very fun too.
Having said that, Maths is still a great subject to choose, if you're really into it. Just to warn you, there's PLENTY of algebra in A Level. So if that's up your street, go for it.

Good luck with making a choice!! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your help!!!!
Reply 8

Very good video, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest