The Student Room Group

How many and what A-level subjects should I take?

I am a foreign student, and wishes to attend Natural Science in University of Cambridge, Trinity College.

I will take the International A-Level test held by the Edexcel.

According to the FAQ page of admission, a score of A*A*A is required as a baseline. But does that mean that I only take three subject tests? Should I take more, for example physics, chemistry, biology, math, four or even five subjects?

The website also advices students to choose certain AS subjects, but should I do so? What AS subject should I take?
Thank you for reading.
(edited 7 years ago)
You only need three A levels, taking more won't increase your chances of admission. Trinity College requires three science A levels, one of which must be mathematics. If you want to do the 'physical sciences' route then you will also need to do physics.
Reply 2
Thank you for your prompt reply.
As I am more interested in the biology side, I shall take Math, Biology and chemistry.
What about AS? How does AS constitutes to the test score, is it treated as an individual subject? Should I take it?
Original post by Shinghei
Thank you for your prompt reply.
As I am more interested in the biology side, I shall take Math, Biology and chemistry.
What about AS? How does AS constitutes to the test score, is it treated as an individual subject? Should I take it?

I wouldn't bother with an addition AS subject; it won't help you get into Cambridge. As far as I know, AS' have become somewhat obsolete.

Quick Reply

Latest