The Student Room Group

Access Humanities/Social Science students 2016

Just thought I'd start this as all the other Access threads I've read have been science-based. In setting this up, I'm hoping we can build something of a support network; an additional source of encouragement or academic collaboration outside of our own Access peer groups.

Regarding myself, I'm 30 years old and will be studying Access to Humanities and Social Sciences at the end of the month (history, literature, sociology and psychology). I am hoping to go on to study Combined Honours in History with Japanese at Newcastle University, or, failing that, History as a single subject elsewhere.

This will actually be my third attempt at an Access course, as I have, admittedly (and obviously!) suffered from motivational issues and dropped out as a result.

All behind me, now, and it's because of these issues that I took it upon myself to study at a residential college this time, even moving to another city. Third time lucky and going all-out for Distinctions!

Anyone studying or about to study Access in either or both of these subject areas, please post and tell us your story, what prompted you to return to education, etc.

Best of luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm Kristina and i'm 21. I will be studying a humanities Access course with the intention of studying Law from 2017. I have done A-levels previously but they were in science based subjects that I didn't really care about, it was more to please my parents at the time. I am looking to get 30 distinctions and 15 merits, fingers crossed! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yess! Let's make this forum as busy as the science-y ones please :smile:

I'm Sarah, 21 next month, left school @ 14 to help out with some family problems.. worked a lot.. traveled a bit (I'm typing this from Tennessee, USA). My course starts up next week. I'm in Wednesday - Friday studying Psychology, Sociology, History & an English GCSE (I did my Math GCSE as an evening course last year in Croydon). I'm going to Kingston College... As for Unis; I've looked into all the required grades and offered courses.. Still not 100% sure where I'll apply to but shh don't tell the tutors that :smile: (They expected me to have my choices @ the interview!)

Hoping to go onto study something like international relations combined with sociology or psychology.. Possibly criminology... Maybe social work... Maybe teaching someday.. I have too many interests :smile:

If anyone has any questions regarding the application process or how it's going in the future I'd be more than happy to chat back :smile:

x
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I'm 22 years old and I'm looking at beginning an Access course in exactly this! This last week has been a nightmare for me trying to find someway of doing a level 3 qualification!! Finally I have fallen into the court of Access courses. I have this one college in mind and i'm awaiting a call back to discuss.

In the mean time, could someone tell me a little more about Access courses? Regarding the degree I want, most Uni's require BBB as a minimum. I already have A-levels but two are terrible as I was ill when trying to complete my second year and totally ballzed up! The only one that is reasonably okay is Art and Design grade C. What kind of grades can I achieve with the Access course to equal BBB at A-level?

Also how difficult is this going to be? I heard rumors that it's more intense than A-levels and I'm a little scared of what I could be getting myself into. I'm focused, I'll be moving away from home and leaving my partner behind (who I'm going to miss horribly!) to go to this college (if they accept me) so I'm committed. I'm a writer so essays etc. aren't an issue either.
Original post by BumbleBeaButt
Hi,

I'm 22 years old and I'm looking at beginning an Access course in exactly this! This last week has been a nightmare for me trying to find someway of doing a level 3 qualification!! Finally I have fallen into the court of Access courses. I have this one college in mind and i'm awaiting a call back to discuss.

In the mean time, could someone tell me a little more about Access courses? Regarding the degree I want, most Uni's require BBB as a minimum. I already have A-levels but two are terrible as I was ill when trying to complete my second year and totally ballzed up! The only one that is reasonably okay is Art and Design grade C. What kind of grades can I achieve with the Access course to equal BBB at A-level?

Also how difficult is this going to be? I heard rumors that it's more intense than A-levels and I'm a little scared of what I could be getting myself into. I'm focused, I'll be moving away from home and leaving my partner behind (who I'm going to miss horribly!) to go to this college (if they accept me) so I'm committed. I'm a writer so essays etc. aren't an issue either.

In terms of UCAS points, BBB (120 points) is roughly equivalent to 24 Distinctions and 21 Merits (122 points). However, the universities should specify their Access grade requirements on their website - they won't necessarily be an exact equivalent.
The workload on Access is quite heavy, but if you don't have children or need to work alongside studying, it's perfectly manageable. Many people juggle family, part-time work and studying, but that requires a great deal of commitment and organisation.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
In terms of UCAS points, BBB (120 points) is roughly equivalent to 24 Distinctions and 21 Merits (122 points). However, the universities should specify their Access grade requirements on their website - they won't necessarily be an exact equivalent.
The workload on Access is quite heavy, but if you don't have children or need to work alongside studying, it's perfectly manageable. Many people juggle family, part-time work and studying, but that requires a great deal of commitment and organisation.

Thanks, I really appreciate the reply. I did look on the Uni's website but i couldn't find the equivalent. I'll look again to double check because when I contacted the Uni they did say they accepted access courses.

Thanks again :smile:
I’m 35 years young and will be starting my Access to Humanities and Social Sciences this Tuesday (13th September) I’m hoping to study Economic and Social History and History MA (Hons) at the University of Glasgow. Which means leaving Northern Ireland behind for a while.

I did a few Open University courses before but thought the foundation of my education needed to be strengthened before applying to a brick university so I took my GCSE in English Language and mathematics (having never taken GCSE’S at school) before applying for the access course at the Southern Regional Collage in the Newry campus.

I’m both excited and nervous about starting but know that in the long run it will be a step closer to my goal.
Hello, I'm 19 (probably the youngest here) I'm 20 in November. College was hard for me and I changed my course many times and then finally decided to an apprenticeship in Health Care. Boy, was that a bad idea. It was just awful. Anyway I dropped that too and now I'm enrolled on an access course to social science at an ofsted 'outstanding' college. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do at uni yet, youth work or philosophy (pls don't laugh).
Hi! I'm 18 (definitely the youngest here) and I start my Access to Humanities (History, English Lit & International Relations) course on Monday. I'm looking forward to it but also nervous as my last two attempts at education have been a bit of a disaster due to ongoing health problems. I'd love to follow the course with a degree in History if anywhere will take me, fingers crossed!
Hi there! I'm 24 (25 next April, etc.) and I started my Access to Social Sciences (psychology, sociology & criminology) on Thursday. My journey to further & higher education as been a bit of a nightmare due to ongoing mental health problems, but I seem to be on the right track now.

I'm hoping to go to Manchester Metropolitan University to do a BSc in Forensic Psychology; failing that, I am also applying to the University of Manchester to study BSc in Psychology. That said, I'm also applying to Salford for BSc Psychology - but my ideal programme is Forensic Psychology as, professionally, I wish to work in a forensic mental health setting (high security hospital) or in prison.
Original post by a.little.bird
Hi there! I'm 24 (25 next April, etc.) and I started my Access to Social Sciences (psychology, sociology & criminology) on Thursday. My journey to further & higher education as been a bit of a nightmare due to ongoing mental health problems, but I seem to be on the right track now.

I'm hoping to go to Manchester Metropolitan University to do a BSc in Forensic Psychology; failing that, I am also applying to the University of Manchester to study BSc in Psychology. That said, I'm also applying to Salford for BSc Psychology - but my ideal programme is Forensic Psychology as, professionally, I wish to work in a forensic mental health setting (high security hospital) or in prison.

Hi, im 25 years old international student and currently in my last year of Bsc(hons) psychology in cardiff met university. Although its an early week of enrolment and just got here . Feel a bit anxious since i havent met anyone yet taking the same course/major
I just want to make sure I've got this straight regarding marking! Say a unit is worth 6 credits, for this unit you complete 4 pieces of coursework, 1 at a pass and 3 at distinction, does this mean that you get 6 credits at distinction as your median grade is distinction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i'm Becky, i'm 24, not long started an Access course to Legal Studies which covers Law, Criminology, and Sociology. :smile:
Original post by KMLeeson
I just want to make sure I've got this straight regarding marking! Say a unit is worth 6 credits, for this unit you complete 4 pieces of coursework, 1 at a pass and 3 at distinction, does this mean that you get 6 credits at distinction as your median grade is distinction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes because it'll be D/D/D/P, so you will be awarded Distinction overall.
Reply 14
My course officially starts in half an hour. What have I let myself in for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering is anyone doing an Access to HE in Humanities at Morley College in London??? I'm going to enroll onto it in March so I'll be starting September 2017, hopefully!
Hi! I'm 22 and I completed an access course in Social sciences in the summer. I now study at the University of Sheffield :smile: Feel free to ask me some questions
Original post by AnnieHelena
Hi! I'm 22 and I completed an access course in Social sciences in the summer. I now study at the University of Sheffield :smile: Feel free to ask me some questions

Hello! Congratulations on completing the course and getting into Uni! Did you find it easier to get the higher grades as the year went on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KMLeeson
Hello! Congratulations on completing the course and getting into Uni! Did you find it easier to get the higher grades as the year went on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly...I found it slightly harder as I was behind and the work can build up really quick if you fall behind. I was behind so it was more difficult. Make sure your attendance is good, mine was really bad! And be careful not to be capped (basically submit on time). Leave plenty of time for you to complete the assignments so you can get a good grade. I ended up leaving it till the night before and working all night and then going into college with no sleep towards the end of the course. However, I still passed so it's possible but it makes your life harder :P

I had a few extensions but it makes you behind and then the workload grows. So I would advice you to not take any extensions and get your work on time. The work itself is not extremely difficult and it isn't difficult to get a distinction, however it is a heavy workload. Basically to get a good grade in the access course it is all about time management. If you have good time management you should be fine. If you have limited time you won't have enough time to work on it therefore your work won't be as good.
I ended up being capped in one of my sociology assignments :frown: Thankfully my University still accepted me. They asked for 30 Distinctions and 15 merits out of the 45 which were graded and then 15 passes for the ungraded. I received 30 Distinctions but 12 Merits as I got a pass in one. However, I still ended up at a Russel group University so Universities do respect the access course.
Sorry If I am being repetitive xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending