Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

As physics - should i or shouldn't i

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I am so confused whether to do AS physics or not. I didn't really enjoy it at GCSE but I think that was down to my teacher. I was happy with my GCSE grade and the college that I am joining has really good grades for physics. I am worried if I will be able to cope? Please may I have any advice on AS physics eg any top tips.

Thank you,

First things first, physics is quite heavy on maths - if you aren't taking this at AS too, or don't enjoy it, you may struggle in physics.

Physics papers usually ask you to apply your knowledge to a new area, such as conservation of momentum when someone is trampolining. This means it's key to know why things work, rather than being able to just memorise things, and so the exams can be tricky.

If you're game for a challenge and enjoy maths, it's probably a good subject to pick. It opens up a lot of areas in higher education and careers, and also ties in nicely with other sciences and maths. The key thing to remember is that it's a subject you really have to enjoy if you want to succeed in it.

Tip: make clear and coherent notes and include examples, even if the content seems straight forward. During AS I never wrote anything up, and that bit me pretty hard when it came to revising and I'd forgotten some really basic concepts.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.