Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you stop comparing yourself/work to others when its affecting your outlook?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

How do you realistically go about stopping comparing yourself, and most importantly your work to other peoples?

I am a designer and always compare my work to other peoples. I have loads of absolutely talented friends and acquaintances whom produce work that is of professional standard. I just can't seem to have that gloss about my work that they do. I am not as talented, but have worked hard over the years to acquire skills, although over the last year or two I've not kept up and sort of fallen behind.

I know that my work could be better, and no matter how hard I try I just can't get it to that level. My work is pretty basic and minimalistic and flat. I do actually prefer my work this way, but it is pretty standard when you look at it in the grander scheme.

My anxiety and lack of self belief runs much deeper than just making comparisons, I guess I was never academic in school (other than when it involves my subject) and although I finished university I just feel so demotivated at keeping up.

I am trying to find work in industry, but the pressure to find a job and be better than just 'good' is difficult to compete with.

How can I learn not to compare and have a better outlook. Please note: I am currently on medication for anxiety and depression and seeking help.

I feel that I can give you some words of wisdom as I have recently been there and actually managed to come out the other side feeling much better and more in control.

The first thing that I did was remove myself from facebook (although i am back on it now) . When you are feeling down and can see everybody else going on holidays, getting engaged, buying houses, good jobs ect it really does not help. I realised that firstly, people never put the bad on facebook, so just because they appear to be living the high life does not necessarily make it true. and secondly and it was hard at first, why should you care what everyone else is doing, having things like facebook can be a constant reminder of who is doing what and when all you see is what they appear to have going for them it can take your eyes off what you have going for you.

I know you have not even mentioned facebook, you might not even have it.. but social media ect these days is in my opinion the biggest cause for people to feel rubbish about themselves..

Put yourself in your own little bubble
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.