The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
nes k
yeah sorry if this has already been said but when we go thorugh clearing we need our clearing passport details dont we. when do we get these because i got ucas's crappy letter on clearing which didnt specify much but i got the impression most people should already have been given these details or something, and i have nothing. i could be way off about this so could someone set me straight please

If you know already you're going through Clearing, you'll have your Clearing passport. Go and look very carefully for it. This may be because you didn't get any offers, you changed your mind about what you wanted to study, you applied through UCAS late, or similar reasons.

If you've chosen a firm and insurance, you won't already have it. UCAS will send your Clearing Passport as soon as they know you're in Clearing, so it should arrive on the friday or monday. If that's thecase, then if the uni ask for details you don't have just say you'll send them as soon as you can as you haven't got your Clearing Passport yet.
Reply 61
I certainly never thought I'd even be considering Clearing lol...but having applied for the wrong course and not wanting to do what I've got offers for, I'm starting to look into it! I have a couple of questions which I would be grateful if anybody could answer for me (sorry if they've already been asked, I'm tired and may have missed them earlier on in the thread):

Right...I'm probably going to have to wait until results day to sort out entering Clearing. I am pretty certain I won't have got into my firm (my parents will probably still make me phone up and beg on the day but I doubt it'll make any difference and I don't want to do the course anyway), but I will probably have got into my insurance, which I really don't want to go to. However my parents would baulk at the sensible idea of calling them now to get them to release me, so it'd have to wait until the day. How long will it take for them to release me? Surely all they've got to say is 'ok, you're not coming here now, sorted'? Does it depend on the university, whether they're being difficult or not?

And this Clearing passport business - is it actually just a sheet of paper that arrives in the post? So it should take 2-3 days to get here, probably more with the state of the postal system? Does this mean I can't even ring up universities to enquire about Cleaing places until I've received the passport? It seems a pretty silly system, why can't they do it online?
Reply 62
If I don't make the grades for my firm choice is it possible to decline my insurance and instead go into clearing?

As I don't really want to go to my insurance choice.

Although I am quite confident I will make the grades for my firm it is always a worry that I won't.
If you don't want to go to your insurance choice uni then ring them TODAY (or at the latest tomorrow morning) and ask them to release you. That way they can sort it out BEFORE they get tied up with the results and you wont have to wait around for up to a fortnight after results day for them to arrange the release.
Reply 64
I got some advisory information in the post from UCAS today and I quote from a clearing leaflet...

"UCAS will automatically send you a clearing passport explaining what to do if you become eligible for clearing. We start doing this from mid-july."

And later it says...

"you can contact the universities and colleges about the possibility of a place as soon as you have your clearing passport"

Now I don't believe I recieved any such 'passport' or document and it seems it is vital for clearing. Since it's only a week away from being required should I contact UCAS?
You only recieve the Clearing passport if you are eligible for clearing ie. you have no offers or you have declined your offers or you have applied after the deadline. If you currently hold at least a conditional firm then you will only recieve a Clearing passport if you do not meet the conditions of your offers, the Universities do not accept you and you enter clearing.

But if you are eligible for clearing and you have been for some time then perhaps you should phone Ucas to enquire when you will be recieving your passport.
It's just an A4 piece of paper (which says CLEARING PASSPORT on the top right) which at the bottom says:

PLACE ACCEPTED IN CLEARING

Complete this section and send this whole Clearing Passport to the university or college to confirm your acceptance of a place in Clearing. Young should not send any other documentation unless the university or college has specifically requested you to.

Applicant Name: ..........
Application No ..........
Personal ID ..........
Clearing No ..........

'I confirm that I have been informally offered and have accepted a place at: .......... (university/college) on course: .......... Course code: .......... I understand that if the university or college above confirm my place with UCAS I cannot apply to another university or college in the application cycle for 2007 entry.
Applicant's signature .......... Date ..........
Reply 67
But won't it take a couple of days for them to send out the passport after results day if I fail to meet my offers? And that will delay my clearing application.

Also while I'm on it. Is clearing a case of first come first served (as long as they are happy with the quality of applicant) or do they wait a while until everyones applied then decide?
Reply 68
Sorry to butt in on the thread, but I assume the OP might also want to know, can you contact universities on results day if you haven't yet received your clearing passport? Surely you don't have to wait until they've posted it out to you to ring places up?
Reply 69
My second quote led me to believe you had to have your clearing passport, that's why it's an issue tbh.
Reply 70
You don't have to wait until you get it. You have to know you're in Clearing. If they ask for details you don't have, then explain you haven't received your Clearing Passport yet, and say you'll tell them as soon as you can.
Reply 71
So would you be able ring up your insurance and get them to release you, then straight away call universities you're interested in for Clearing? I know if you want to get released you should do it before results day but my parents won't let me, so it'll have to wait til then, but I can still contact other places right? Or not?
Reply 72
updated :smile:
whats updated
rico dan man
whats updated

the clearing info on the second post
abc101
So would you be able ring up your insurance and get them to release you, then straight away call universities you're interested in for Clearing? I know if you want to get released you should do it before results day but my parents won't let me, so it'll have to wait til then, but I can still contact other places right? Or not?

you *can* - but chances are you'll have to ring your insurance 3 or 4 times over the week following results day to nag them into processing your release.

Just phone them today and don't tell your parents then pretend to phone them to sort it out on results day itself...it's YOUR decision, it's YOUR responsibility and it's YOUR life for the next 3 years.
hey juno, i didn't meet the offers for both my firm and insurance, but i got an offer when i contacted another uni, they told me to apply thru clearing and get imperial and warwick to release me.. so will i be able to apply thru them straight away or do i wait till april 16th??
Reply 77
What if say, I want to do a different course at my firm (different department). Is it likely, if I don't get the grades, that my firm will let me change courses?

If that's the case, then there's no need to get released from my insurance right?
Reply 78
Is it possible to have a look at the Independent through the net?
Reply 79
Milli
Is it possible to have a look at the Independent through the net?

You can check Clearing vacancies on the UCAS website, or on universities' own websites. I don't think The Independent will have vacancies on their website though.

Latest

Trending

Trending