Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Dyslexic Student University Support/Allowances

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    So currently at my school I had 25% extra time and used a laptop for exams. This is because of dyslexia however I have not had the full dyslexia test. Because the test costs £500 for my sixth form they gave me a basic test for access arrangements which would give me the extra time and typing provision for exams thus saving me money of the test but still giving me the benefits the test would have. The tests I did do indicated I do have dyslexia as well as my teachers observations and family also having it thus I have no doubt I'm dyslexic but universities require the full test.

    -Will I have to pay for the dyslexia test at my university? How much?
    -What allowances to dyslexic students get from the university?
    -How much extra money (if any) do you get for applying to Disabled Student Allowance given it's a very minor disability ?

    You don't get any money from DSA. You can get things like equipment, a non medical helper and exam arrangements.

    Dsylexic tests are normally £300 to £400. Some uni's have funds available for testing so get in touch with there learning support.

    I was given extra time and allowed to use computer for exam which made a big difference. They also sent me to a centre to look at various equipment available. Discorvering software such as inspiration really helped. They then gave dsa the reccomendations for equipment. This was few years ago and i know they are more tighter now, but i got laptop, printer, scanner, dichtaphone for recording lectures, inspiration software. I could have got dragonspeak so i could talk to computer but didnt find it useful. I think now you have to make 200 contribution to laptop if you require it.

    You can also get support, like someone reading essays, so its worth chatting it over with uni.

    Good luck!

    (Original post by Hynish)
    I think now you have to make 200 contribution to laptop if you require it.
    This is only for SFE students.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.