The Student Room Group

UK PhD programs in second language studies/pedagogy/applied linguistics?

Hi. I have not posted here in a very long time! Here is some background information. I'm American and just finished my BA in Linguistics. I will be starting my MA in Applied Linguistics in the US next month and I will likely apply to a PhD program afterwards. I am just wondering if there are universities in the UK that offer a PhD that focuses on the teaching and learning of foreign/second languages. I am particularly concerned with English, Italian, and French. I am most interested with the learning and teaching process for adults. I'd like to ultimately end up with a teaching position in Europe, if possible, which is one reason why I'd like to know what UK universities have to offer. Also, is funding as impossible for international DOCTORAL students as it is for international undergraduate and masters students? Thanks.

**I posted this in the Foreign Languages section but I probably should have posted it here!
Reply 1
most uk universities will offer what you are asking for.

regarding scholarships, if you can't get one from the states you could always narrow down your searches by looking at departments which offer departmental scholarships. www.jobs.ac.uk is a good place to start. that, and searching university websites.
Reply 2
by the way, "pedagogy" is child-based. "pedo-" = of a child; relating to children. there is another type of "-gogy" for adult based learning, but i can't think of it. you said you have a background in linguistics? :smile:
Andragogy, although as far as I'm aware pedagogy is an acceptable over-arching term for both.
Reply 4
well, it's contestable. i know a few educationalists who resist the pedagogy term when they are talking about educating adults. i certainly don't like it on the grounds that it implies primary education and higher education are the same things.
Reply 5
I appreciate your response. I'll check out that website. As for pedagogy vs andragogy, I've never heard nor seen the latter mentioned. Thanks for the distinction.
Reply 6
I was under the impression as long as someone at the department is competent and willing to supervise a university will "offer" a PhD in anything. I had to write my own research question and proposal for my application so it was me that decided what the PhD will be on.