The Student Room Group

English Lang/Lit or English Lit?

So basically I'm deciding which options to take at A Level and I can't seem to make my mind up on whether to take English Literature or English Language & Literature (combined). I'd appreciate any advice that can be given in terms of which course is more respected, more difficult or more enjoyable. Thanks everyone!

(Subjects to be taken at A Level: Maths, Media Studies, Psychology, English [Lit or Lang/Lit])
Reply 1
Well I think doing Lang/Lit would be good; I really enjoy English Language.
English Lit is infinitely more respectable as an A-Level in its own right. It's better, more fun, more academic.
English lit is more respected, but which is more difficult or more enjoyable is an individual thing, so none of us can really answer that for you. Personally I enjoyed English lit and didn't find it particularly difficult, but it depends whether you'd prefer to study some lang topics as well instead of pure lit. Have a look at the sort of things you'd study in the combined course and talk to current/past students for their opinion. You could also look at what texts you'd be studying for lit and see if they appeal to you.
I did AS Eng Lang and Eng Lit seperatley. I preferred Eng Lit and found it easier and more enjoyable. So i would recommend that.
Reply 5
Lang/lit isn't the easiest thing to get used to after making the transition from GCSE, as it's a different kettle of fish altogether. To some extent, I regret not doing Literature as I think Lang/lit discouraged reading for me as there isn't as much involved in the course.
Lit. It's amazing.
Reply 7
Lang/lit. You still do all the stuff involved in straightforward Lit, but you get a much deeper understanding of the language which you couldn't get without studying linguistics.
Reply 8
Thelfo
Lang/lit. You still do all the stuff involved in straightforward Lit, but you get a much deeper understanding of the language which you couldn't get without studying linguistics.

^^ ditto to that
language is an essential part of english i believe. You still get very in depth understanding of lit as well language. The understanding of language gives you a whole new viewpoint and broader understanding of not only novels but transcripts, essays, reports, poems and articles.
I didnt find English lang/lit particularly difficult just more in depth and i definately gained alot from the course.
=]
Reply 9
Thanks a lot for all your help on this! It really has helped. I did check up on the language part of the course and it seems there is more creative writing involved in English Lang/Lit than there is in Lit by itself. That's great for me 'cause creative writing is a huge part of why I love English. Also, it seems I can gain a lot more from the Lang/Lit course since you study non fiction stuff too (eg. articles, letters). As a result, I think I'm gonna choose English Lang/Lit, but I'm still keeping my options open so please keep your opinions coming!

Thanks everyone =]
Reply 10
Well, there wouldn't be creative writing in the pure lit course...

If you want to study English at uni, beware of the lang/lit course as some unis don't accept it for some reason. Other than that, go with what suits you best!

Latest