The Student Room Group

When is it 'too late' to decide on a degree?

I'm about to start lower sixth, and I picked Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography, but have no clue about what degree I want to do when older.

Considering that year 12 is the time to do work experience, volunteering, reading etc (to work towards uni application), when would be too late to decide?
Original post by Baaah
I'm about to start lower sixth, and I picked Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography, but have no clue about what degree I want to do when older.

Considering that year 12 is the time to do work experience, volunteering, reading etc (to work towards uni application), when would be too late to decide?

Mature students tend to do better at university than people who go as teenagers. You could go at 30 and do just fine.

If you want to go at the earliest opportunity, and want to go to a top 20 university, you should know at least what faculty you want to apply to by the end of year 12. For some degrees it won't matter if you decide at the last second, so long as you can write a good personal statement before the deadline e.g. any degree for which getting work experience is impractical..

The worst thing you can do is to go and study the wrong degree. If you aren't sure, just take a gap year. You will be a better student for having done so.
Reply 2
i think its too late to be deciding when you need ti send off your application.
Original post by Pugglet
i think its too late to be deciding when you need ti send off your application.

Agree, I've had 2 different personal statements for different subjects and just a few hours before the deadline when I conclusively decided which one to paste into UCAS. Didn't stop me from getting 5 offers.
DELETED

(Accidental repost)
It is never too late, you can apply in gap years once you decide or even in your 30s or if u apply in year 13 latest deadline for applications is jan of year 13, you have ages! I still have no idea on degree and just started A2 so I am just applying next year once I have decided.

Quick Reply

Latest