The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by WBZ144
Who said it wasn't racist?
Do you have a link to the ad?
How do you know that it was a response?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_dntfod-Cbo

When this first showed there was not a single outrage from the PC brigade. Yet when the chinese did the same the SJWes were in outrages. This only demonstrates how PC is strong in Europe.

The Chinese only saw this and said "hey since this is acceptable in Europe why not put our guy?"
Reply 301
Original post by Copperknickers
This kind of attitude is just stupid. If someone is born and grows up in the UK, they are British. Britishness has nothing to do with race. Yes, someone with parents or grandparents from Jamaica or Pakistan or Bangladesh is going to know something about the culture of their ancestral country, but they go to a British school, have British friends, speak English as their mother tongue, and so experience exactly the same upbringing as British children do (bearing in mind even 'white' Britain is a very diverse cultural group, so this varies from very liberal to extremely conservative Christian) minus the parenting, and parents can only contribute so much to a child's cultural identity.

It varies, but some people of Pakistani origin for example in the UK know next to nothing about Pakistani culture, can't speak the language and have never been to Pakistan. The same is true of many Afro-Caribbean Brits: they wouldn't last ten minutes in Jamaica. So what else can you call them, if not British? A Jamaican would laugh in their face if they said they were Jamaican, but most Brits would have no hesitation identifying them as British. So what gives you, a foreigner, the right to tell British people our own culture? Britain is not comparable to some backward Eastern or Southern European country, it is more comparable to America. Would you laugh at Barack Obama calling himself an American?

Well comrade. That is frankly not our problem. When we as tourists visit UK we expect true Britain. Castles, food, queen etc. Pakistanis and blacks are not in the service what we expected. We do not care about "minority cultures" but British culture.

And you are not conparable to the US as the world is full aware that there is no american etnicity. I was also frankly disapointed when I visited London as it was dirty and the people (no offence) did not looked British. Full of street beggars and so on.

And if you think that eastern or southern Europe are backward because of this than lol because of irony.
Reply 302
Original post by Crassy
Can Japanese people be black?

No, they cannot with the exception if they have japanese ancestry.
Original post by The_Opinion
The bold section: That is not true at all, a child's up bringing is heavily / mainly influenced by the parents, if the parents are foreign, the children are not going to receive the same upbringing as an average native.

I said 'the same, minus the parenting'. Children are more influenced by their peers and the society they grow up in than they are by their parents. Parents can teach language and introduce certain values and expectations (e.g. religion, work ethic) but they can't make sure that these stick. Often, children with foreign parents grow up knowing about their parents culture, but rejecting it in favour of their adoptive country's culture. Plus in single parent families (a large and growing proportion, especially in poor inner city neighbourhoods like the ones many immigrants find themselves in) they only get one parent's worth of cultural knowledge, all they get from the other is genetics.

It's sadly a stereotype with a solid basis in fact that a lot of 'black' Londoners for example are actually mixed race and brought up mostly by their white British mother, so saying someone like that isn't 'British' because of the colour of their skin is pure racism.
(edited 7 years ago)
The bold section: That is not true at all, a child's up bringing is heavily / mainly influenced by the parents, if the parents are foreign, the children are not going to receive the same upbringing as an average native.

Actually no. Just because the colour of skin is different, a British child classed as an ethnic minority can, and in most cases do have the same upbringing as an average native. Many Caribbean and Indian children are third generation/fourth generation 'migrants' who have no previous ties, and minimal knowledge of their ancestral country.

If parents and children have been British citizens all their life, going to British schools, having British friends, and speak English as their mother tongue, and that too being probably the only language they can speak... please explain to me how 'foreign' parents bring their children up so very differently to the average native?
Original post by slaven
Well comrade. That is frankly not our problem. When we as tourists visit UK we expect true Britain. Castles, food, queen etc. Pakistanis and blacks are not in the service what we expected. We do not care about "minority cultures" but British culture.

And you are not conparable to the US as the world is full aware that there is no american etnicity. I was also frankly disapointed when I visited London as it was dirty and the people (no offence) did not looked British. Full of street beggars and so on.

And if you think that eastern or southern Europe are backward because of this than lol because of irony.

You should not have gone to London buddy, I always warn my foreign friends about London and how it is not British, when they come, they realise that I was telling them the truth.
I said 'the same, minus the parenting'. Children are more influenced by their peers and the society they grow up in than they are by their parents. Parents can teach language and introduce certain values and expectations (e.g. religion, work ethic) but they can't make sure that these stick. Often, children with foreign parents grow up knowing about their parents culture, but rejecting it in favour of their adoptive country's culture. Plus in single parent families (a large and growing proportion, especially in poor inner city neighbourhoods like the ones many immigrants find themselves in) they only get one parent's worth of cultural knowledge, all they get from the other is genetics.

It's sadly a stereotype with a solid basis in fact that a lot of 'black' Londoners for example are actually mixed race and brought up mostly by their white British mother, so saying someone like that isn't 'British' because of the colour of their skin is pure racism.

Bold section: Utter rubbish, parents shape the children and more often than not, children have similar views from a huge range of topics to their parents, there is a good reason for that, it is because they were raised by their parents.

The idea that you and your wife could have a baby born in the middle of a jungle living with some tribes people, and that child will grow up to be no different than the native children is truly ludicrous.

Also, you don't seem to know the meaning of racism.
Reply 307
You should not have gone to London buddy, I always warn my foreign friends about London and how it is not British, when they come, they realise that I was telling them the truth.

Well to be fair there was a lot good things. But generally speaking it was not as expected.

If anything there is to learn fron the british or french case is not to enforce multiculturalism even by price of total ban of non-european immigration. Otherwise nobody would spend a lot of energy on pointless debates like this one.

Than again maybe this is a punishment of uk for colonialism. Other countries just do not owe africans or muslims anything.
Reply 308
Oh and for those buthurt. I do not consider Milo or Nick Clegg true British. The one is a greek the other a dutchman with uk passports. It is not just about skin color.
Original post by slaven
Well to be fair there was a lot good things. But generally speaking it was not as expected.

If anything there is to learn fron the british or french case is not to enforce multiculturalism even by price of total ban of non-european immigration. Otherwise nobody would spend a lot of energy on pointless debates like this one.

Than again maybe this is a punishment of uk for colonialism. Other countries just do not owe africans or muslims anything.

Where are you from?
Reply 310
Where are you from?

Hungary/Croatia
Original post by slaven
Hungary/Croatia

You need to make sure that Orban remains in charge of Hungary forever, he is one of the small number of sane European leaders at the moment, eve if he is not good economically etc., finances can also be fixed, demographic mayhem is harder to solve.
Original post by slaven

Firstly, tourist traps and Downton Abbey are not 'British culture', they are a loosely historically-themed fabrication dreamed up in a 1980s office block in Woking. And bravo to them, for convincing hopelessly naive foreigners to pay £20 for a baby-sized portion of ye Olde Englishe fish and chips in ye Olde English pub. The pub is probably about 20 years old and the food is most likely imported from America. Even the castles are mostly 19th Century military barrackses built on the site of demolished medieval castles: at least the crappy tourist trap ones which we advertise to foreigners are, locals know the real ones. And how is a black person identifying as an Englishman stopping you from enjoying castles and food anyway? They're probably cooking your fish and chips.

London isn't a British city any more, that much I freely admit (if it ever was, in fact). If you want to experience more traditional British culture then go to somewhere like Bristol or Newcastle. London ceased to be majority white British a while ago and has never really had much in common with the rest of the country, ever since it was founded as a Roman colony 2000 years ago and populated by everyone from Italians to Germans to Africans, then refounded by Viking invaders, and then refounded again by the Normans, and finally greatly expanded by varying waves of migrants from France, Flanders, Ireland, Eastern Europe, and many others.

London has a sideline in tourism but it's an Alpha++ city, second only to New York as a global capital in every area from finance to art to higher education. It was always cosmopolitan, being the capital of history's largest and most diverse empire, but now it's shed any pretence at Britishness.

So if you believed Britain to be some kind of homogeneous monoculture where everyone was a dapper Hugh Laughrie type sipping tea and playing croquet, I'm afraid that your ignorance is your own problem. Millions of people come to London each year to see the sights, indeed increasingly they go to the multicultural areas like Brixton and Tower Hamlets as well, so don't try to pretend that your personal prejudices are some kind of major blow to a city which recieves a larger number of tourists per year than most European countries' whole populations.

And for the record, I've never been to a city that didn't have beggars. Vancouver, San Fransisco, New York, Rome, Paris, Milan, all have huge homeless communities. In fact, the richer and more cosmopolitan the city, the more beggars there will be. It's the cities without beggars that are the desperate s***holes.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Orban's main threat comes from Jobbik; I wouldn't worry about immigration. Hungary's low birthrate is the only real threat to its demographics.

I don't even see that as a demographic problem (I know that it technically is), as it is easy to fix in the long run, a united homogenous population is very easy to deal with.
Firstly, tourist traps and Downton Abbey are not 'British culture', they are a loosely historically-themed fabrication dreamed up in a 1980s office block in Woking. And bravo to them, for convincing hopelessly naive foreigners to pay £20 for a baby-sized portion of ye Olde Englishe fish and chips in ye Olde English pub. The pub is probably about 20 years old and the food is most likely imported from America. Even the castles are mostly 19th Century military barrackses built on the site of demolished medieval castles: at least the crappy tourist trap ones which we advertise to foreigners are, locals know the real ones. And how is a black person identifying as an Englishman stopping you from enjoying castles and food anyway? They're probably cooking your fish and chips.

London isn't a British city any more, that much I freely admit (if it ever was, in fact). If you want to experience more traditional British culture then go to somewhere like Bristol or Newcastle. London ceased to be majority white British a while ago and has never really had much in common with the rest of the country, ever since it was founded as a Roman colony 2000 years ago and populated by everyone from Italians to Germans to Africans, then refounded by Viking invaders, and then refounded again by the Normans, and finally greatly expanded by varying waves of migrants from France, Flanders, Ireland, Eastern Europe, and many others.

London has a sideline in tourism but it's an Alpha++ city, second only to New York as a global capital in every area from finance to art to higher education. It was always cosmopolitan, being the capital of history's largest and most diverse empire, but now it's shed any pretence at Britishness.

So if you believed Britain to be some kind of homogeneous monoculture where everyone was a dapper Hugh Laughrie type sipping tea and playing croquet, I'm afraid that your ignorance is your own problem. Millions of people come to London each year to see the sights, indeed increasingly they go to the multicultural areas like Brixton and Tower Hamlets as well, so don't try to pretend that your personal prejudices are some kind of major blow to a city which recieves a larger number of tourists per year than most European countries' whole populations.

And for the record, I've never been to a city that didn't have beggars. Vancouver, San Fransisco, New York, Rome, Paris, Milan, all have huge homeless communities. In fact, the richer and more cosmopolitan the city, the more beggars there will be. It's the cities without beggars that are the desperate s***holes.

What you said is simply not true, you are lying and trying to make out that London was never homogenous, when throughout the vast majority of history it was very homogenous, with only a tiny % being foreign. You are distorting reality, luckily our foreign friend will not fall for your mistruths.
Bold section: Utter rubbish, parents shape the children and more often than not, children have similar views from a huge range of topics to their parents, there is a good reason for that, it is because they were raised by their parents.

The idea that you and your wife could have a baby born in the middle of a jungle living with some tribes people, and that child will grow up to be no different than the native children is truly ludicrous.

I'm afraid it's not ludicrous, in fact suggesting the contrary is ludicrous. Obviously if a child grows up in West Papua with a group of New Guinean head hunters with no exposure to British culture other than through their parents, they will be through and through a New Guinean head hunter. Perhaps an Anglophone one, but they wouldn't last ten seconds in the UK if they knew nothing more about it than what their parents told them, nor would British values mean anything to them as soon as they became adults and no longer had to abide by them, since values merely teach you how to behave in the real world, and so they are meaningless if you live in a social context governed by a totally different value system, where indeed British values might be punished (as they are in certain Muslim countries for instance: freedom of speech, freedom of religion, public displays of affection, homosexuality).

Also, you don't seem to know the meaning of racism.

It is offensive in British culture to assert that someone is 'not British' because they are non-white. Saying something offensive to someone based on their race is racism.

It is offensive in British culture to assert that someone is 'not British' because they are non-white. Saying something offensive to someone based on their race is racism.

First, it is not offensive in British culture to do that. British culture does not care about "offense". The word "racist" has a set meaning, it doesn't mean what ever you feel like.

Second, No it is not racist, again, you don't seem to know the meaning of the word.
Reply 317
Original post by Mathemagicien
Orban's main threat comes from Jobbik; I wouldn't worry about immigration. Hungary's low birthrate is the only real threat to its demographics.

You need to make sure that Orban remains in charge of Hungary forever, he is one of the small number of sane European leaders at the moment, eve if he is not good economically etc., finances can also be fixed, demographic mayhem is harder to solve.

Oh, defintly. Once I get the hungarian citizenship I shall vote for Fidesz.

Now granted Hungary has the highest taxes in the EU. But you get a lot of good services for exchange. Studing at unis is free, driving in public buses is subsidised and so on. The living standard is very good otherwise I would not move here.

And the public money is prety well used. Recently the gov passed a law where the it will subsidise every couple their own new house or flat using into accounts the number of kids they have. So the gov is tackling the demography problem not "import thirdwordlers" as the West do but with encouraging couples to have more kids. They will literary paid them for it.

Oh and Hungary will have a refendum on the EU imposed refugee quotas. If the west is democratic like it claims to be why does UK does not have a similar referendum?
Original post by slaven
Oh, defintly. Once I get the hungarian citizenship I shall vote for Fidesz.

Now granted Hungary has the highest taxes in the EU. But you get a lot of good services for exchange. Studing at unis is free, driving in public buses is subsidised and so on. The living standard is very good otherwise I would not move here.

And the public money is prety well used. Recently the gov passed a law where the it will subsidise every couple their own new house or flat using into accounts the number of kids they have. So the gov is tackling the demography problem not "import thirdwordlers" as the West do but with encouraging couples to have more kids. They will literary paid them for it.

Oh and Hungary will have a refendum on the EU imposed refugee quotas. If the west is democratic like it claims to be why does UK does not have a similar referendum?

As the UK is not democratic and the Westminster lot know that the public would have rejected immigration. What is Hungary going to do when the public vote against the migrant quota and the EU forces them to accept them / hit Hungary with massive fines?
@slaven

We've got an opt out on some justice matters which includes the refugee quotas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending