Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Essential reading and buying books???

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I have a few reading lists for my different modules and on it they have "essential reading", "background reading" and "other". Do I need to buy books from all of these or just the ones in the essential reading section?

(Original post by danuuutka)
    I have a few reading lists for my different modules and on it they have "essential reading", "background reading" and "other". Do I need to buy books from all of these or just the ones in the essential reading section?
    Depends on the course you're going to be studying, and also, I would argue, on how equipped the library/libraries is/are. For a science course for example, I would discourage buying textbooks until you have borrowed them from the library, and are sure they are useful to own. This is because so much learning can be done for free online and from lecture slides. Science textbooks can be useful if they suit your learning style, but they tend to contain far more detail than you would ever require for undergraduate level. You would have to always be aware of that, comparing the book to the lecture slides.

On the other hand, if you were doing English Literature, the books on the reading list would be much more important, and the library would run out quick. You would still need to check you're buying the correct books for the modules you're taking.

Moral of the story: don't be in a hurry to splash on expensive books. Use your library where possible, and what materials help you learn best.

I thought I would also mention that most libraries now do online set ups where you can search for absolutely anything, books, journals, articles ect.
    I would imagine that most of what you need is on there?
    Aswell as the use of the universities site library too?

Make the most of it
    I am starting my 2nd year and did not buy one book.

Its hard to narrow it down, I also received a humongous list so what I did was pay a visit to Foyles (bookstore) in Tottenham Court Road and browse through all the books that I was told to get and narrowed out the ones I actually needed/liked or just wanted. I saved all their names and ordered them used or on Amazon and saved about £50 or £60!

You don't need to BUY any of them. Your university library should have the majority (if not all) of the books you need for loan. You can spend an absolute fortune on academic books/textbooks and often it's really easy to get them out from the library. It's often a good idea to get the essential reading books out at the start of freshers before anyone else gets round to it so you can read them when you decide to. I only 'needed to buy' one book during my entire degree... because I had to do a book review and the library had two copies which disappeared within an hour of it being set.

Your background/other reading lists are things you may choose to read to help with your essays/exams and give you more information. But when you're set an essay or exam you may have several topics and only actually need to know one of them, so then you can pick your extra reading based on your topic at the time.

Go on Facebook. There is probably a group for your course with last years people selling their books. Depending on your strategy you could get in early before the other freshers or hold off until they've done their buying and the sellers will want to offload at almost any price

Depending on the licences they've got in place the uni library may make chapters (or whole books) available online for free. For my last degree I only bought one book, and that was because I wanted it for referencing after the course.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.