The Student Room Group

The best exam board to sit Maths privately??

Looking to sit A level maths exams next year, which exam board should i do it with?
Reply 1
Original post by LS28
Looking to sit A level maths exams next year, which exam board should i do it with?

Edexcel, definitely.
Original post by LS28

Not AQA
Mei fam
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies.
Probably a stupid question but what makes one exam board 'better' than the other? surely the content accross all exam boards are the same, or does it differ?
Ive just done edexcel IGCSE so i was leaning towards edexcel
Reply 5
Original post by LS28
Thanks for the replies.
Probably a stupid question but what makes one exam board 'better' than the other? surely the content accross all exam boards are the same, or does it differ?
Ive just done edexcel IGCSE so i was leaning towards edexcel

Content varies when you go up to the higher modules, standardised in the lower modules. But Edexcel is better because it's more popular so a lot more resources available for you to use when self-teaching.
Reply 6
yeah ill go with edexcel then.
How much time you think is needed for a decent grade A/A*? Ive just done IGCSE maths, didnt really do it properly i work full time and only started learning the content/revising around 3-4 weeks before the exam. I came out with a B. before this year i hadn't done maths for 7 years.
sorry for all the questions.
Original post by LS28

How much time you think is needed for a decent grade A/A*?

Honestly no idea, varies wildly depending on the person and their situation - find out what's right for you.
Reply 8
Not Edexcel, I wish I was on AQA as my GCSE math and FM are with them
Original post by AfcFob

I wouldn't risk AQA after MM03 and PC3 this year
Reply 10
Original post by AfcFob

Would it not make sense for me to do it with edexcel considering ive just done gcse with them?
Do you dislike edexcell because its so different to the syle you were used to with AQA GCSE?
Reply 11
Original post by ValerieKR
Honestly no idea, varies wildly depending on the person and their situation - find out what's right for you.

Just out of curiosity, what works for you? didnt do gcse properly so i guess i havent found what works for me yet..
Original post by LS28
Just out of curiosity, what works for you? didnt do gcse properly so i guess i havent found what works for me yet..

I'm not a great sample - I suspect an honest answer would push you in the wrong direction.
Reply 13
Original post by LS28
Would it not make sense for me to do it with edexcel considering ive just done gcse with them?
Do you dislike edexcell because its so different to the syle you were used to with AQA GCSE?

Basically, I don't like the style of question and yeah it makes sense to stick with the same exam board... It's a personal preference
Reply 14
Ask the question, for which board are there most number of resources around
Original post by Zacken
Content varies when you go up to the higher modules, standardised in the lower modules. But Edexcel is better because it's more popular so a lot more resources available for you to use when self-teaching.

It's more popular because it's boring and formulaic as ****, making it the easiest syllabus around. For some real maths, do MEI or AQA.
Reply 16
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
It's more popular because it's boring and formulaic as ****, making it the easiest syllabus around. For some real maths, do MEI or AQA.

Those aren't going to be real maths either. Stick with the easiest exam board so you can ace it without any work and spend all your time looking up and going through undergrad lecture notes and using your time to do actual proper maths.

I appreciate that MEI or AQA have a better approach to maths then Edexcel, but it's still A-Level and shite compared to proper maths.
Original post by Zacken
...but it's still A-Level and shite compared to proper maths.

#MMath

Quick Reply