The Student Room Group

Is it worth reapplying to Oxford? Or go to Durham?

I got rejected from Cambridge, being totally unprepared for the newly introduced Computer Science Admissions Test.

With Oxford, I can easily prepare for the MAT.

Is it worth going to Durham university, which I do think I will have a good time at, or reapply to Oxford, considering:

I will be with an IT company, maintaining my technical skills throughout the year, and will also be doing a maths course.

I have 3 A*'s + 1 A + EPQ A* (related to Computing)

+ 1 AS level (A)

11 A*'s at GCSE.

What do you think, seriously.
Well, it basically comes down to how much you'd like to study at Oxford. I think you'd have a fair chance of an offer, but if you only have a slight preference for Oxford over Durham, or you'd just want to study there because of the prestige etc, then it's probably not worth it. Congrats on the Durham offer though - I hope to you have a fantastic time wherever you end up at :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by StationToStation
Well, it basically comes down to how much you'd like to study at Oxford. I think you'd have a fair chance of an offer, but if you only have a slight preference for Oxford over Durham, or you'd just want to study there because of the prestige etc, then it's probably not worth it. Congrats on the Durham offer though - I hope to you have a fantastic time wherever you end up at :smile:

Thanks very much!! :smile: I was always set on going to Oxford really, I don't even know why I applied to Cambridge. I'm really just a big fan of the tutorial system, and Oxford's a lot closer to London.
Reply 3
You have solid grades so why not go for it? Sounds like you've got a good chance of an offer. But taking a gap year raises the stakes a bit and you'll generally find yourself under more pressure at the MAT and interviews which may lead to poor performance.
Original post by Sainsbizz
Thanks very much!! :smile: I was always set on going to Oxford really, I don't even know why I applied to Cambridge. I'm really just a big fan of the tutorial system, and Oxford's a lot closer to London.

Ah I see. Then I'd maybe go for it. The Oxbridge experience is obviously pretty unique, and if that's something you have your heart set on, you don't want to spend the rest of your life wondering what would have happened if you had applied. Some people say that taking gap years is a waste of time but tbh I don't think that's true - it's not like you wouldn't be able to live your life before graduating from uni or anything. :biggrin: So, as I said it ultimately comes down to how you feel, but given how strong your stats are and how good your potential gap year plans look like, I'd give Oxford a shot.
Original post by Sainsbizz
I got rejected from Cambridge, being totally unprepared for the newly introduced Computer Science Admissions Test.

With Oxford, I can easily prepare for the MAT.

Is it worth going to Durham university, which I do think I will have a good time at, or reapply to Oxford, considering:

I will be with an IT company, maintaining my technical skills throughout the year, and will also be doing a maths course.

I have 3 A*'s + 1 A + EPQ A* (related to Computing)

+ 1 AS level (A)

11 A*'s at GCSE.

What do you think, seriously.

Hey, just wanted to ask if you ended up reapplying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending