The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by udeyomydays
how would i go about getting involved in publications during first year? Is this something that is normally offered to students or will I have to contact individual professors?

Very occasionally you may be offered the opportunity to get involved in research by a consultant or tutor, but generally it is something you will have to seek out. I know some people who did summer research placements/jobs - some of these were advertised by the university, some of them they got by directly contacting people. Once you're in clinical years I think it's a bit easier, as you can always ask consultants if they or any of their colleagues are active in research as you are keen to get involved and start getting experience with publications
Reply 21
Original post by udeyomydays
thank you for the replies guys, it has certainly given me something to consider. One last question, baring in mind what you said, does it matter that currently I am not too sure on which speciality i want to apply to after my foundation years? For my publication to hold much weight (in speciality applications) will it have to be in an area within that speciality? Also how would i go about getting involved in publications during first year? Is this something that is normally offered to students or will I have to contact individual professors?

Thanks once again.

Publications used in applications for training posts (after foundation) are merited on the level of impact in the journal they are published in, rather than the specialty they are based upon. If you wanted to do ophthalmology, having a publication in gastro is still fantastic. It would be a bonus to be in the same/ similar field (and you will be amazed at how much you can bend something to be directly applicable somehow to your specialty!), but at the end of the day, they are looking for the skills you've acquired in doing the research generally.

To get involved, the best places to go are to established research groups - talk to your lecturers in the areas you are interested in. If they haven't got something on, they will likely have a colleague who does. Likewise, in hospital, there's always an audit to get involved in etc.
Reply 22
Before I entered med school, I thought the stuff that I need to know would be way harder than A level biology and chemistry. I am now on the second semester and I found the lectures easier than expected. I thought I would fail as well because everyone getting into medicine is so bright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My advice is: Don't live with medics.

I lived with medics in first year and ZOMG when it came to exam time it was ALL STRESS ALL THE TIME. I moved to a different house for the other years and I was so much more chilled. If you live with other Medics it can be really hard to escape the medicine bubble.

Latest

Trending

Trending