Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is it possible to go to top colleges/universities without a high school diploma?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hello. I hope you all are well. I'm not a U.S citizen but willing to study in U.S soon. I wanted to ask if it is possible to go to top colleges without a high school diploma.

So, I was schooled until the Grade 8 from where I received A*s. But later, it turned out to be hard to continue my studies at school due to financial problems. Thus, I taught myself at home as much as I could. At the moment I'm doing mathematics, physics and chemistry at higher level and literature at standard level. I'm willing to study engineering at MIT, Yale, or Stanford. I'm not sure yet but those universities are my aims for now.

But I feel like my future is filled with darkness and its blank as I'm always told "You will never be able to go into those universities ever", "People who study day and night, can't even get into those and you study by yourself will? Nice joke". Hearing words like these breaks my heart every time but I cannot do anything as well. I have no power, strength and simply nothing but knowledge. Even though I have knowledge, I'm not sure how to use it to get into the universities I want to go to. Its a huge dream of mine, I can't express in words.

Hence, please do help me out its a request. I'm in a trap where I don't know how to get out, I need some help and guidance. If you may know anyone who goes to ivy league universities then please ask them what I could do? And if possible ask them if they could talk with their professor or anyone who is in charge with admission, if I could contact them directly? Please simply anything that you may think could help me. (You can also message me directly to let me know anything)

Thank you very much.

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time but uni admissions is very competitive and you really need the right qualifications to get into uni. Maybe take a break from education and work for a while and then consider going back to school?

Them 3 institutions are so competitive that even some A* students in all subjects get rejected if they don't have previous family members who went.

Information about entry requirements and the application process is all available online. Do some research and find out what you'll need to have a chance.

You'd be better off contacting the admin of the universities you want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try to see if there are any home schooled application processes for the universities you are interested in. If that doesn't work, contact an admissions officer/college application rep. They will have a much better idea of what you can and can't do.

I'm not sure if it's available in your area, but some US students enroll in a community college where they take some 1st year uni courses.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.