The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do with my life after college?

Hey, in a year I could be heading off to uni but I have no idea what course/degree I want to study and spend my life doing. I have nothing I am passionate about doing and need some advice 😁 I take English language, history and government and politics at alevel, what would be a good uni course for this? I'm thinking law but I don't know if I want to spend my life doing that as it could get slightly boring :/ I have also found a nursing course I could get on but I think I have a blood phobia, but could I overcome this?
Any advice would be helpful :smile:
If you don't have an idea, don't go to uni and don't land yourself in massive debt. Find an apprenticeship instead.
Reply 2
It's possible to overcome a blood phobia, but volunteer in a hospital environment or care home first to see if it actually suits you :smile: you could always take something like history or English further, and go into teaching?
Reply 3
Try and organise some work experience in different areas of work, see what you enjoy doing?
There's no point in appliying to uni if you don't know what to do!! When will people learn and stop following everyone else like sheep? You're talking as if it's just obvious and par or the course that you should leave college and go straight to uni - no! It's not the only way to live your life by going primary school > secondary > college > uni > job. That's not the only route that exists. If you don't know what to do at uni and don't know what career you want then don't do it! Get work experience and then make an informed decision.

God, I wish they would shout this at 16-18 year olds in class. Why are they all jumping into £40k debt like lemmings with no clue of wtf they are setting themselves up for?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AllegedLegends
There's no point in appliying to uni if you don't know what to do!! When will people learn and stop following everyone else like sheep? You're talking as if it's just obvious and par or the course that you should leave college and go straight to uni - no! It's not the only way to live your life by going primary school > secondary > college > uni > job. That's not the only route that exists. If you don't know what to do at uni and don't know what career you want then don't do it! Get work experience and then make an informed decision.

God, I wish they would shout this at 16-18 year olds in class. Why are they all jumping into £40k debt like lemmings with no clue of wtf they are setting themselves up for?!

I wish I could rep this more than once, I agree completely.
Original post by AllegedLegends

You make a good point but secondary schools and 6th forms care zilch about student welfare, they're after the "figures" that make them "attractive" like "% of leavers going to uni".
Original post by shawn_o1
You make a good point but secondary schools and 6th forms care zilch about student welfare, they're after the "figures" that make them "attractive" like "% of leavers going to uni".

I 100% agree. They're practically brainwashing people that uni is their only option unless they want to be jobless losers which is totally untrue. They should tell them there are other options - not just uni. But that's the joy or TSR, I can tell them!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending