The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

What is it like studying a degree in Law at Bristol?

Hi, I'm currently doing A2 (I achieved AAB at As) and I was wondering if they're really that strict on entry requirements for law. So, if anyone doing the degree could say what they entered with? Also, what is the degree actually like at Bristol? I was deciding between law or psychology at the uni and eventually chose law.

Thanks to anyone reading & any replies, greatly appreciated!! Xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Celynsummers
Hi, I'm currently doing A2 (I achieved AAB at As) and I was wondering if they're really that strict on entry requirements for law. So, if anyone doing the degree could say what they entered with? Also, what is the degree actually like at Bristol? I was deciding between law or psychology at the uni and eventually chose law.

Thanks to anyone reading & any replies, greatly appreciated!! Xx

Hiya

I'm currently in my second year at Bristol where I'm studying Law. I also achieved AAB at AS and was predicted A*AA at A2. Bristol are quite flexible as their standard offer is AAA/A*AB. If you attend a state school you may be eligible for a contextual offer of AAB if your school meets certain criteria.

You will study 6 modules each year with the majority of first year modules being exam based. First year modules include:

(1) Introduction to Law: basic intro to the English legal system. In my year this module was from October - November with a short exam taking place in November. We didn't receive a particular mark, it was just a pass/fail exam. Think they've changed it this year so that it is assessed by one piece of coursework.
(2) Law and State: 2x 2000 word piece of coursework. First one is due in January and second one is due in April
(3) Contract, (4) Constituitional, (5) Criminal and (6) Tort which are all 3 hour exams in May (it's not as scary as it sounds!)

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the uni/course :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by lisa96
Hiya

I'm currently in my second year at Bristol where I'm studying Law. I also achieved AAB at AS and was predicted A*AA at A2. Bristol are quite flexible as their standard offer is AAA/A*AB. If you attend a state school you may be eligible for a contextual offer of AAB if your school meets certain criteria.

You will study 6 modules each year with the majority of first year modules being exam based. First year modules include:

(1) Introduction to Law: basic intro to the English legal system. In my year this module was from October - November with a short exam taking place in November. We didn't receive a particular mark, it was just a pass/fail exam. Think they've changed it this year so that it is assessed by one piece of coursework.
(2) Law and State: 2x 2000 word piece of coursework. First one is due in January and second one is due in April
(3) Contract, (4) Constituitional, (5) Criminal and (6) Tort which are all 3 hour exams in May (it's not as scary as it sounds!)

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the uni/course :smile:

Hi!

I study law in Poland and next year I'm coming to Bristol for my year abroad. I have to choose between those subjects:

foundation of business law
law of contract
criminal law
law of tort
law and state
constitutional rights
introduction to law
comparative law
crime, justice & society
jurisprudence
law&policy of the EU
european human rights
medical law
comparative public law
employment law
homan rights in law, politisc and society
law and government
sex gender and law
enivronmental law

Which of them you recommend? I want something interesting, well taught and developing, but not necessary the most difficult ones that are very difficult to pass even for native speakers :wink: So could you recommend anything or share your experience on those subjects (especially those from the first year, which I consider the most). Thank you! :smile:
Hey,
I'm currently in my first year doing law at Bristol.
At AS I actually got AABC but brought it up to AAA for A Level so Bristol was definitely my aspirational choice! I got a fairly high mark in my LNAT which probably helped as well.
In terms of the course you'll do intro to law to start with and as the poster said above you now do a piece of coursework which for us was an essay and a problem question (fictional scenario advise the people in it) which were 1000 words each in mid October.
Alongside intro to law your main modules are contract, tort (negligence, trespass etc), criminal, constitutional (human rights, rule of law, terrorism, euthanasia) and law and state (parliament, devolution etc).
Law and state is assessed by 2 2,000 word essays and the others are assessed by your summer exams. The Christmas exams don't count for your end of year mark and there are the option to do a further practice essay for all 5 modules.
There's about 400 people in the course which is massive and you have about 12 hours a week of contact time. There are only about 6 law and state lectures in the year.
Every two weeks you have an hour long seminar for each module. You'll be in groups of about 8-10 there'll be about 2 hours+ of reading and note taking which may include planning essays for each. There are 8 seminars for each module in the year.
Law and state seminars are 2 hours long and the group will be about 16-20 people. You'll also have to do a presentation or a debate once in the year. You're marked but the mark doesn't count.
The law society is really big and definitely join! The law balls are supposed to be some of the best society balls in Bristol (with the sad exception of this year's summer ball which was a bit of a disaster). They also run a parenting scheme where you're matched up with 2nd years and there's a few socials etc. My parents were awful but most really enjoy it.
In terms of other opportunities there's mooting and negotiation competitions which I would definitely recommend as well as the opportunity to go into schools and teach about human rights.
There are a lot of firm presentations especially at the start of the year which I would recommend going to a few. They tend to be in a really posh hotel with nibbles and wine. There is usually a talk, a goody bag with lots of firm branded stationary and the opportunity to speak to trainees and associates. Networking is a key part of getting a law job so these are really useful.
Career stuff is generally confined to being a commercial solicitors in a big London firm but they are trying to branch out. If you're interested in being a commercial solicitor definitely get on the ball and start building up your CV and apply for open days and first year schemes as they're so competitive. Also bring at least one business wear outfit (suit or smart dress/skirt/trousers and blouse)
For a 4 day scheme at CMS I had an application form, Watson Glaser Test (bit like LNAT), telephone interview and 45 minute interview at their office with a partner. It was definitely worth it though!
Hope this is exhaustive enough but I've had a fab year at Bristol and would definitely recommend it!
Hi there - this was all really helpful, so thank you for that. I just have a few questions about Law at Bristol.

I've just finished school and I'm waiting for results to come out (3 weeks). My offer is for Law with French and is AAA or A*AB. As current law students, could you tell me if there's some or any flexibility in the grades? What did you guys get? Do you have fellow law students who missed offers?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by maggie_madelaine
Hi!

I study law in Poland and next year I'm coming to Bristol for my year abroad. I have to choose between those subjects:

law of contract
criminal law
law of tort
law and state
constitutional rights
introduction to law
comparative law
crime, justice & society
jurisprudence
law&policy of the EU
european human rights
medical law
comparative public law
employment law
law and government
sex gender and law
enivronmental law

Which of them you recommend? I want something interesting, well taught and developing, but not necessary the most difficult ones that are very difficult to pass even for native speakers :wink: So could you recommend anything or share your experience on those subjects (especially those from the first year, which I consider the most). Thank you! :smile:

Hi there i would personally pick criminal law or the law of tort they are meant to be pretty straight forward. I would avoid contract law and employment law unless you like a challenge . Also constiutional law is very interesting but not easy. Hope that helps
The standard offer is going up next year - it will now be A*AA or A*A*B.
The contextual offer will be AAB.

Course page for 2018 entry : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2018/law/llb-law/
Reply 7
Hello. I am currently living in a country belonging to the EU. I am thinking of applying to the Law course in Bristol next year. Do I have to sit the LNAT exam or is this necessary just for those living in the UK? What do you think?
Original post by Lawyo
Hello. I am currently living in a country belonging to the EU. I am thinking of applying to the Law course in Bristol next year. Do I have to sit the LNAT exam or is this necessary just for those living in the UK? What do you think?

The 2018 page on Bristol's website for Law states clearly that "ALL" students must sit the LNAT. It's probably best to read those pages before asking here.
Reply 9
Original post by maggie_madelaine
Hi!

law of contract
criminal law
law of tort
law and state
constitutional rights
introduction to law
comparative law
crime, justice & society
jurisprudence
law&policy of the EU
european human rights
medical law
comparative public law
employment law
law and government
sex gender and law
enivronmental law

Medical law is really interesting, i would definitely recommend that :smile: If the 'law and policy of the EU' is the same EU unit i took this year I would recommend that if you want something easy. Most students hate jurisprudence and its very different from most law units, more philosophy based so it depends whether you like that kind of thing. Tort and criminal are both quite interesting and a useful basis for a law degree
Anyone going to the Open Day on Sat 9 Sept?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/
Hi there

I'm an international student starting law at Bristol in September 2018.

As flights are expensive I am trying to book my flights home for December now.

I have been told that law students get "an extra weeks reading period" in December, over and above that of the other students.

Is this true? If so, can I come home a week earlier than the Bristol website says? e.g. if semester break is the 22 of December, can I book a flight for the 15th?

Thank in Advance
Original post by StudentSA2018
Hi there

I'm an international student starting law at Bristol in September 2018.

As flights are expensive I am trying to book my flights home for December now.

I have been told that law students get "an extra weeks reading period" in December, over and above that of the other students.

Is this true? If so, can I come home a week earlier than the Bristol website says? e.g. if semester break is the 22 of December, can I book a flight for the 15th?

Thank in Advance

The best thing to do is to email the Law School office - [email protected] - and ask them.
Original post by lisa96
Hiya

Hi! I am considering Law at Bristol. I went to their Open day and loved it! I am wondering whether you are enjoying the course or finding it dry and whether you like living in Bristol? Is there a lot to do there and is it expensive?
I really wanted to do a law and politics degree but of course Bristol do not offer that. Do you get to do any politics as a part of the course?
Thank you so much! Xx
Reply 14
hey i know you might have just graduated and I know you might not know this type of thing but do they give the contextual offer students the same consideration as regular offer students. I know I can achieve A*AA if I really worked hard enough but say if I didn't get the grades i don't know if they will treat me the same as a student who did get A*AA. also, any tips on your personal statement and how much does it actually matter
Honestly, I found a podcast that discusses what Bristol Law is like in depth. It's actually SO helpful and has made me so much more excited to apply for Bristol. It's two students at Bristol who study law, and they share their experiences and opinions on the modules, teaching method and Bristol Law as a whole. Check them out to see if you should do law at Bristol:
'THE STUDENT PERSPECTIVE'
I'm in my third year at Bristol Law School. If anyone has any specific Qs feel free to drop me a message :smile:
Original post by xmeganxmayx
I'm in my third year at Bristol Law School. If anyone has any specific Qs feel free to drop me a message :smile:

can you please share your experience with me?
I am a bit concerned about contact hours , we only have 8 hours per week
the reputation of the university is declining
:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
can you please share your experience with me?
I am a bit concerned about contact hours , we only have 8 hours per week
the reputation of the university is declining
:smile:

Of course, what would you like to know? Are you already in your first year? Not sure if you are or not because you mentioned contact hours! :smile:
Original post by xmeganxmayx

Hi! I’m currently predicted A*BC, hoping to increase my B and C to A and B, so it should be A*AB. Would tbis be ok? Because I’m from a low progression area I would also get a contextual offer. Is it likely that the university would give me an offer? And for the LNAT what would u suggest I do? I’ve got my test towards the end of this month

Quick Reply