Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

how easy is it to find a job as a clinical psychologist?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

im thinking of applying for a psychology course at uni but im more interested in the clinical side of it. i hear that to become a clinical psychologist a phd is required after doing undergraduate degree (as well as work experience), but how easy is it to find a job as a clinical psychologist?

I'm no expert on this, so take my guidance with a pinch of salt and do your own further research.

Almost all 'professional' careers in the field of psych require a doctorate. Psych. has become a hugely popular subject. As a result, the number of graduates completing their bachelor's degrees far exceeds, by a HUGE margin, the number of available positions in the workplace.

Get as much hands on experience as you can, even if it means intern unpaid work. Make your CV shine. Do what it takes to achieve a 1st, or at least a 2:1 at uni, or you will struggle to find anything. Anything at all.

Alternatively, book an appointment with a really highly rated career guidance counsellor. Explore what it is that draws you to psych. Explore what other options might be less competitive and just as rewarding. Really think deeply about what career path you want to pursue for the next x number of decades and if psych. is the way to go. There are many professions that require standardised degrees followed by a year on the job mentoring leading to professional examination. Not everyone makes the grade. and can practice. If you are going into a field that has a 75% failure rate, you need to ask yourself seriously, am I better than three out of four of my peers?

to my knowledge something like 99% of qualified clin psychs have a job 6 months after graduating, the NHS funds the course so they won't fund places for people who won't get jobs, it's a waste of money so once you're qualified I think finding a job is okay (although obviously sometimes you will struggle to find one if you have a specific location)

the difficult bit for clinical psychology is getting onto the course, it is 3 years and before you get accepted you normally need at least 2 but the average is more like 4 years of relevant work experience and you need to nail the application/interview as it's extremely competitive

Also, given the funding now available for masters, this is likely to become a minimum entry requirement. Its not a short choice, and its not a job which guarantees full time employment either. Without adding in the financial pressures on the nhs system, who are looking to get the most for the least amount of money. I wouldn't be surprised if before we get to application point, funded phd ceases to exist and replaced by loans too.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.