What does +44 in a mobile number mean?

TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014

Rep:
    It's

+44 and 7 digits, anyone know?

Cheers

Rep:
    that it's a UK number, i think

Rep:
    +44 is the same as 0044 used when calling international numbers. Texts often do it, its just saying its a mobile number in the UK.

Rep:
    Only 7 digits?That's odd

Rep:
    +44 is the equivalent of 07, i think

Rep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    +44 is the equivalent of 07, i think
    I'm not sure what you mean? If you were writing out a phone number you only drop the '0'

Rep:
    Nah it's the equivilant of 0 if you are in the UK.

e.g. +447979 instead of 07979

Rep:
    +44 is the international way of telling that the number is from the United Kingdom. similarly +1 is the international code for the United States.

I.E.

+4420222143 = 020 222 143

Cheers!

Rep:
    basically its the international dialing code for the uk. so say ones number is 07712341234 or whatever if u were to call this from usa you'd dial 00447712341234

Rep:
    It's the UK dialling code Oh, and allegedly, if you use +44 it actually sometimes works out slightly cheaper.

Rep:
    (Original post by Gareth-Lee Smith)
    I'm not sure what you mean? If you were writing out a phone number you only drop the '0'
    oh yeah. oops. read cortez's post.

i keep writing i think at the end - cos i've never been abroad - so i've never had to make international calls to the UK- otherwise i would have been certain

Rep:
    an just FYI, 0044 and +44 are the same thing - the + simply replaces the 00

Rep:
    The point of it is that if you put your phone numbers into a mobile phone address book, you can use them from outside the UK.

So if you put in +44207..., it'll work when you are roaming abroad, but if you put in 0207... you'd have to redial it.

Rep:
    7 digits? hmmm.

SMAP.

Rep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    an just FYI, 0044 and +44 are the same thing - the + simply replaces the 00
    Or rather the + means to insert the international dialing code. For most of Europe this is 00, but for other countries this can be different. America uses 011 for example.

Rep:
    For those that care, http://www.kropla.com/dialcode.htm has a comprehensive list for the world, including area codes inside countries.

Rep:
    +44 is the international code for the UK.

Rep:
    (Original post by The Anthropologist)
    +44 is the international code for the UK.
    Thanks for that! We discovered that 4 days ago, but your reiteration just made it so much clearer.

Rep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Thanks for that! We discovered that 4 days ago, but your reiteration just made it so much clearer.
    No problem, glad i could be of some help

Rep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Oh, and allegedly, if you use +44 it actually sometimes works out slightly cheaper.
    I don't believe it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

: August 5, 2007

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.