The Student Room Group

Is three a levels, including Further Maths, good enough for a top uni?

I have started sixth form and I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. I am tempted to drop Physics because it is difficult and the new linear course makes A2 even harder. However, will dropping Physics hinder my chances of getting into a top uni and course like warwick economics?

I have heard that because Maths and Further maths are similar, unis look down upon taking 3 A2s with f maths. Is this true?
No, most uni offers are based on 3 A2. It would be best to do all 4 subjects at AS and then drop physics after a year, but only some universities even consider AS so it isn't such a big deal. :smile:
Original post by fksociety
I have started sixth form and I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. I am tempted to drop Physics because it is difficult and the new linear course makes A2 even harder. However, will dropping Physics hinder my chances of getting into a top uni and course like warwick economics?

I have heard that because Maths and Further maths are similar, unis look down upon taking 3 A2s with f maths. Is this true?

It should be fine. The only case where I've heard of Maths and Further Maths not being regarded as 2 full A2s is with some medicine courses. I would still recommend doing Physics at least for AS though.
Reply 3
Original post by jazz_xox_
No, most uni offers are based on 3 A2. It would be best to do all 4 subjects at AS and then drop physics after a year, but only some universities even consider AS so it isn't such a big deal. :smile:

Original post by Plagioclase
It should be fine. The only case where I've heard of Maths and Further Maths not being regarded as 2 full A2s is with some medicine courses. I would still recommend doing Physics at least for AS though.

Wait so is my physics AS useless??

No it's not. It's just not essential.

AS grades are essentially useless under the new system. I can't find a single uni that requires a 4th AS anymore, even in medicine.
Your good to take 3, even without AS physics. They're only not accepted as separate A Levels in medicine to my knowledge, so yeah. I mean, there's no point getting a D in physics AS then AAA, when you can have the AAA without the D.
not useless, but not needed so much. if you felt you were sacrificing your other subjects for physics then you would be best to drop it but otherwise it's still good to have

In most cases, no, but for certain LSE courses you will be at a disadvantage (including Economics).

Quick Reply

Latest