Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Advanced Higher English Dissertation

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I need to pick books on which I want to write my advanced English dissertation on, I have been toying with the idea of book relating to racism and discrimination where I can analyse the way in which the authors portray the problems that the characters face within society and themselves (identity). A few books that I have been recommended are "The colour Purple" by Alice Walker "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and "To Kill a Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee. I'm not sure if these books or idea is complex enough does anyone have any thoughts as to if they are and if I can write a good dissertation on it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, we got told that comparing poems did better last year marks wise and they are also better as it would be easier for teachers to track progress. Hope that helps.

But, if you really want to do a book it's better to focus on one and back up with secondary sources as the word count is only 3k and you might struggle tighting it up because doing comparatives were better with the old AH english word count which was 4,000-5,000?

Hey, I actually recently had to change my disseration from Lolita and Rebecca to The color purple and To Kill a mocking bird.
    I was a bit disappoited having to change my dissertation topic. I also had to chose two books that were easy to read and analyse in a short space
    of time (since first drafts are due). I think you could do a lot with The Color Purple and To Kill a Mocking bird; many different angles you could take. But I've always heard poetry is easier to write about, but that isnt an option where i study AH.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.