The Student Room Group

Work experience in a psychiatric hospital vs general hospital

I did two weeks of work experience in a psychiatric hospital last year but is this counted as the equivalent to eg work experience in a GPs surgery etc? I really enjoyed the placement and would like to do more there but i'm not sure if to do some at a general hospital.I recently had an operation on my foot and the surgeon said that i could do some experience with him -i think i will take his offer up.What would i be allowed to observe though along the lines of surgery? I don't suppose i will be able to watch hip replacements or major surgeries? Any advice would be appreciated ,thanks.
Reply 1
Yes.

But what did you learn? Did you learn what being a doctor means?

Bugger observing hip replacements, you'll learn practically nothing, observe people.
Renal

Bugger observing hip replacements, you'll learn practically nothing, observe people.

:ditto:
dont focus on the surgeries, instead focus how the surgical team work together as a team and how they interact with patients. try and find out what the pateients feel before and after they go into surgery if u can.

good luck, i never had this opportunity, and i hope you make the most of it.
I saw a hip replacement! It didn't contribute anything to my understanding of being a doctor, but I did learn that hanging around in what are effectively pajamas all day with the surgery team is amazing. And it really helped me get over being squeamish. That experience won't really help my medical application, but it's great to see the practical side of surgical specialties.

Latest

Trending

Trending