Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Should I do GCSE History by dropping GCSE Geography?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am rather creative and imaginative.

I am now in Year 10 and I am currently doing GCSE Geography, but I feel as if History would be more fun. I love Geography too, but I have learnt to appreciate History a little bit more. However, since the GCSEs are getting harder, I am gravitated a bit towards Geography from this aspect.

My english grades are good - I had got a 6 + 7 from the end of Year 9, with the near chance of getting an 8. In History (Term 5 / Year 9) I had achieved a 7B (highest being 8C). Though I am doing an extra GCSE for RE, which is oriented towards long essays and critical thinking, so the two subjects are' relatively' similar (am i right?) and i will get a similar experience with RE.

I am very keen, so I will definitely catch up on things I have missed if I decide to do History. The sad thing is I have just completed a 15 page geography assignment over the summer ( it wasn't major, but I just enjoyed doing it) so it will be hard dropping Geography.

I will have little regret, however, if i do drop Geography, because I don't mind watching documentaries in my spare time instead (its the physical geography I am most keen about, but Geography as a whole is very good).

Teacher wise, History teachers seem to be more productive than Geography teachers - we have to spend some time gluing things in, colouring in etc.

Thanks for reading!
    Sorry for my undecided mind.

Pick the subject that you may want to do at A level and are good at and can get a good grade in. Talk to your teachers and see what they think.

Hi I'm in year 10 too an I do both history and geography. Both are great GCSEs and I'm really happy I chose both. I find that history is more interesting but I tend to do better in geography. If you're not sure then I'd stick with geog as catching up will be a lot of work however you could totally do it. I think if you're not certain that you want to cahnge then don't. I so nearly changed from geog to Greek but so glad I didn't you chose geog so u should trust you're first instinct

Hi! I'm currently in year 11 and I'm studying both Geography and History. I swapped Spanish for History near the end of year 9 so I joined a little later than the other pupils in my class. Personally, I prefer History over Geography but in my end of year exams last year I got an A* in both. Personally, I had to adjust my writing style to fit in with History but I love writing. History I find is more writing and saying your personal opinions whereas Geography is moe of a science and requires the facts. You still need to remember facts in History but I find it more interesting. Go with your gut! What A levels and career are you hopinh to go on to?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.