The Student Room Group

If I just drink spirits will I put weight on?

Seem to have a bit of weight on recently from drinking beer, if I change t just drinking spirits will I not gain as much weight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SCIENCE :D
Seem to have a bit of weight on recently from drinking beer, if I change t just drinking spirits will I not gain as much weight?
Half a pint of beer has roughly the same calories as one measure of spirits. If you add a mixer you are easily doubling the calories.
Reply 2
Original post by mphysical
Half a pint of beer has roughly the same calories as one measure of spirits. If you add a mixer you are easily doubling the calories.

really? wow I thought there was next to nothing calories in spirits.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
really? wow I thought there was next to nothing calories in spirits.
It is the alcohol content. The structure of alcohol is similar to carbohydrate, but alcohol can pass through the stomach wall.
I think it is about 90 Kcals per unit of alcohol.
Cider is quite higher (100-110) because sugar is added after fermentation.
Some spirits may only be lower (80-85 gin I think is one), but DYOR.
Don't think the above is totally true.

Vodka is v v low calories. Drink that with a diet mixer = minimal calories.

Yes, beer is v bad for weight gain due to the calories.
Reply 5
Pint of beer roughly 250 cals. Vodka and diet mixer 50 cals. Pint = 2.5 units vodka = 1 unit. So unit for unit vodka is half the cals.
Spirits also have a lot of calories. do yourself a favour and cut down on the alcohol
Preferably you'd drink in moderation and then it wouldn't matter too much. But I'd be lying if I did that in my first few years at uni. So yes, spirit and a diet mixer = very few calories.

Original post by mphysical

That's not true, like at all
Original post by Unistudent77
Don't think the above is totally true.

Vodka is v v low calories. Drink that with a diet mixer = minimal calories.

Yes, beer is v bad for weight gain due to the calories.

Yeah m8
[QUOTE=Angry cucumber;67490874]Preferably you'd drink in moderation and then it wouldn't matter too much. But I'd be lying if I did that in my first few years at uni. So yes, spirit and a diet mixer = very few calories.

It was you who suggested the 'diet' mixer and i was like 'ohhhhhhh' haha. Lightbulb moment.

Drinking in moderation is ridiculous.

You either drink or you don't. Everyone knows this :tongue:
Reply 9
This may be a novel idea but instead of worrying about the calorie content of a drink you could simply try to drink what tastes best in moderation and increase your exercise to compensate.
It's all about your calorie intake. If you consume too many calories in comparison to what you burn, then you'll put on weight; regardless of whether it's a spirit or an orange juice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
This will happen:

Spoiler

Reply 12
Spirits have like 60-80 calories per shot while a pint of beer has over 200. So you won't put on weight if you're mixing with diet drinks, make sure you party hard and shake off those calories tho. And no late night kebabs, cooking whilst drunk is quite an experience especially if you do it with someone (I never said a good experience in case you plan to sue me afterwards)
Guys, it's not just about calories. Drink a little bit, wtvr, but just remember that if you drink too much, you'll get a gut and your muscles will shrivel up... I could mention names...
That's the doom 'n' gloom message, but on the bright side, life's not just about calories, and honestly, if you eat healthily, three times a day, you'll be fine:smile:

Spoiler

It is about caloric intake with regards to fat loss..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treblebee
Guys, it's not just about calories. Drink a little bit, wtvr, but just remember that if you drink too much, you'll get a gut and your muscles will shrivel up... I could mention names...
That's the doom 'n' gloom message, but on the bright side, life's not just about calories, and honestly, if you eat healthily, three times a day, you'll be fine:smile:

Spoiler

What on earth have I just read?

No, just no
You can drink vodka+a diet mixer and consume less calories... however if you're getting drunk rather than having 2 pints in the pub then you're probably still going to consume more than you need and gain weight

you can try and counter by exercising more/eating less but you should be careful, don't cut down on nutritious calories to drink empty ones from alcohol or you'll end up very unhealthy

I'll probably get told this isn't true but I have read that alcohol does disrupt the way your body processes sugar etc in ways which encourage weight gain and fat storage
Original post by doodle_333
You can drink vodka+a diet mixer and consume less calories... however if you're getting drunk rather than having 2 pints in the pub then you're probably still going to consume more than you need and gain weight

you can try and counter by exercising more/eating less but you should be careful, don't cut down on nutritious calories to drink empty ones from alcohol or you'll end up very unhealthy

I'll probably get told this isn't true but I have read that alcohol does disrupt the way your body processes sugar etc in ways which encourage weight gain and fat storage

Well pint is like 200 calories (depends on what exactly).

Vodka and diet mixer is like 100 for loads of vodka. It really is quite negligible once you factor in the walking to the club and standing on your feet/dancing etc.

I'd say your last paragraph is probably true.

It is more the disruption to sleep and then the hangover the next day which will cause bigger issues.

Just make drinking infrequent ie once a week or less and i highly doubt if you use spirit and mixer for pres that you'll put on much if any weight.

Pints in a pub = yes. Loads of empty calories
Original post by Unistudent77

It is more the disruption to sleep and then the hangover the next day which will cause bigger issues.

Or the Pizza I make when I get home...
Original post by Appeal to reason
Or the Pizza I make when I get home...

You're an efficient drunk. If I'm lucky, I get some water in before I fall asleep :lol:

Edit: However having food when drunk, truly shows you at your worst. Just some scavenging mess eating toast at an unreal pace :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest