The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College freshers math test

Hey guys,

got an email from my department (aero) that there will be a maths test on 1st week of uni, apparently for everybody.

Any ideas from 2nd+ year students of what to expect, how difficult will it be, what sort of questions will be there, general outline?

Any advice will be appreciated :smile:
Original post by RussianHotdog
Hey guys,

got an email from my department (aero) that there will be a maths test on 1st week of uni, apparently for everybody.

Any ideas from 2nd+ year students of what to expect, how difficult will it be, what sort of questions will be there, general outline?

Any advice will be appreciated :smile:

Haven't they sent out the little booklets about a summary of what to expect this year? When I was sitting the test two years ago it was quite easy, it included standard A-level stuff like partial fractions, series, binomial theorem, functions, geometry, trigonometry, differentiation, Taylor series, integration, vectors. Don't worry if you fail, you will just get additional Maths tutorials. Feel free to ask about it during Mums and Dads event, your parents will tell you what it was like. :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by ounce
Haven't they sent out the little booklets about a summary of what to expect this year? When I was sitting the test two years ago it was quite easy, it included standard A-level stuff like partial fractions, series, binomial theorem, functions, geometry, trigonometry, differentiation, Taylor series, integration, vectors. Don't worry if you fail, you will just get additional Maths tutorials. Feel free to ask about it during Mums and Dads event, your parents will tell you what it was like. :smile:

They did send out a booklet, with a "basic maths" sample test which was all multiple choice (true/false) style. It the actual test in such an outline?

I kind of find it pointless though, since almost all the students answered these kinds of questions on their exams not too long ago. Especially considering that they got accepted for answering most of them right :biggrin:
Original post by RussianHotdog
They did send out a booklet, with a "basic maths" sample test which was all multiple choice (true/false) style. It the actual test in such an outline?

I kind of find it pointless though, since almost all the students answered these kinds of questions on their exams not too long ago. Especially considering that they got accepted for answering most of them right :biggrin:

Two years ago the test had mostly open questions with few, if any, multiple choice ones - do ask some 2nd years about that, maybe it changed. Regarding the purpose of the test - not everyone who got admitted did A-levels and curricula in other countries can be different. I got in despite my Maths classes not including e.g. Taylor series or integration, while other people did basic ODEs in high school.
Original post by ounce
Two years ago the test had mostly open questions with few, if any, multiple choice ones - do ask some 2nd years about that, maybe it changed. Regarding the purpose of the test - not everyone who got admitted did A-levels and curricula in other countries can be different. I got in despite my Maths classes not including e.g. Taylor series or integration, while other people did basic ODEs in high school.

would you happen to have a copy of this exam?
Original post by GausIsTheBoss

Nope, they are not published and you are not allowed to take the question sheet with you.
Original post by GausIsTheBoss

Are you also starting at Imperial from this October?
Original post by ounce
Nope, they are not published and you are not allowed to take the question sheet with you.

Do all departments take the same maths test?
Original post by -Phoenix-
Do all departments take the same maths test?

No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending