Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medical work experience

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Hi, I would like some advice on getting work experience in hospitals or GP surgeries. I have 8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and 4 As at AS level in the 3 sciences and Maths. I have volunteered for youth organisations and special needs charities. I've not actually tried to get into hospitals and would like some advice before I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of advice are you looking for? *How to find something? *What to do?

A lot of people seek to do something that sounds really good like neurosurgery or cardiothoracics. *In reality, the best kind of work experience s going to be something that gives you a good idea of a doctor's day to job. *Interview panels aren't going to be impressed that you've watched brain surgery. *They're going to want to see that you have a realistic view of what being a doctor entails. * In terms of hospital medicine, the best places to get some good experience that will help you to reflect and understand, are general medical wards / medical specialties such as geriatrics, stroke, respiratory, gastroenterology etc etc, also A&E, acute medical admissions units… *Spending some time with a GP would also be useful experience.

Think carefully about what it is that you want to learn (about being a doctor), any specific questions that you have. *Because work experience is not just tick-box for your application, but it IS your chance to actually see what the job / career entails and to decide if it might be right for you. *Then try to organise the experience based on this.

To be honest I'd take amything medically related. Any experience in a medical setting will allow me to learn more about the profession. The advice I was really looking for was how to apply/seek experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.