The Student Room Group

Starting sixth form on Monday!??

So im starting sixth form on Monday and I'm really freaking out. Im really worried about not fitting in and all my close friends aren't going so im pretty much going to be alone :frown: does anyone have any advice on how to come by next week?? im so nervous incase it all goes wrong and what do you do on the first day?? Please give me some advice,

Thankyou everyone :smile:
Original post by Pedrex
So im starting sixth form on Monday and I'm really freaking out. Im really worried about not fitting in and all my close friends aren't going so im pretty much going to be alone :frown: does anyone have any advice on how to come by next week?? im so nervous incase it all goes wrong and what do you do on the first day?? Please give me some advice,

Thankyou everyone :smile:

I was in a similar position, except I went from a regular sized school to a pretty big college in a different town. No one I knew was even in my department. In the end, I really liked it that way. I made loads of new friends and it was an all new experience. Sure, I was terrified beforehand, but it worked out well in the end. The best thing you can do is smile at people and try and be approachable. When you're sitting next to people in classes, introduce yourself and talk about the work, or something interesting you did over the summer. You can ask them what they did over the summer as well and start up a conversation. You'll likely find that you'll end up taking breaks and eating lunch with the people you've been talking to in your classes. On the first day, you might go to an assembly and you'll do some admin stuff in your classes. Your teachers will likely talk a bit about the course, but the first day should be pretty easy. Enjoy sixth form, and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I was in a similar position, except I went from a regular sized school to a pretty big college in a different town. No one I knew was even in my department. In the end, I really liked it that way. I made loads of new friends and it was an all new experience. Sure, I was terrified beforehand, but it worked out well in the end. The best thing you can do is smile at people and try and be approachable. When you're sitting next to people in classes, introduce yourself and talk about the work, or something interesting you did over the summer. You can ask them what they did over the summer as well and start up a conversation. You'll likely find that you'll end up taking breaks and eating lunch with the people you've been talking to in your classes. On the first day, you might go to an assembly and you'll do some admin stuff in your classes. Your teachers will likely talk a bit about the course, but the first day should be pretty easy. Enjoy sixth form, and good luck!

Thankyou for the kind words! I appreciate it alot. I'll try and do what you said though im kinda shy so its harder for me. Got any tips for gaining some confidence on shyness?

Thanks for replying too! :smile:
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
This was me on Wednesday!
I go to a sixth form where nobody from my year has gone to and at first the new faces are overwhelming but just know that there are probably other externals in the same position as you :smile:

If you wanna make friends then just be open and willing to speak to a range of people (before you start chilling with a bunch of people)

Also a good idea to see who has the same frees as you/subjects as you, to get some familiarity!

P.S I consider myself introverted but I realised that you gotta have more confidence in yourself , now I feel comfortable approaching anyone in my year :wink:!

Good Luck
I start on Monday too!
I find just not overthinking what you say is best. Try to have a casual conversation and don't force any comments that don't feel right. I used to do this and it created lots of awkward silences. Questions are everything as people love to talk about their lives, so maybe ask people their options, how they're feeling about their courses, music they like etc :biggrin:
You'll do great don't worry.
Reply 6
Original post by k.m.b
This was me on Wednesday!
I go to a sixth form where nobody from my year has gone to and at first the new faces are overwhelming but just know that there are probably other externals in the same position as you :smile:

If you wanna make friends then just be open and willing to speak to a range of people (before you start chilling with a bunch of people)

Also a good idea to see who has the same frees as you/subjects as you, to get some familiarity!

P.S I consider myself introverted but I realised that you gotta have more confidence in yourself , now I feel comfortable approaching anyone in my year :wink:!

Good Luck

Thank you! :smile: oh right pretty much the same as me though a few friends are going, good to know your doing ok :smile:

I appreciate the advice thanks! I guess im just super nervous haha, its alright to feel nervous right?
Reply 7
Original post by chasmiths
I start on Monday too!
I find just not overthinking what you say is best. Try to have a casual conversation and don't force any comments that don't feel right. I used to do this and it created lots of awkward silences. Questions are everything as people love to talk about their lives, so maybe ask people their options, how they're feeling about their courses, music they like etc :biggrin:
You'll do great don't worry.

Wow thanks for the tips :smile: ! I'll try and start a normal conversation without getting awkward haha. Need to try and stay calm though that's the only thing :smile:.

Good luck starting Monday!! :smile: hope it all goes how you want it:biggrin:
One thing to bear in mind is to start some revision as soon as you start. Because gradually, the notes increase and you don't want to cram near the end of the year. Ask questions whenever you don't understand something in class and you should do fine.
Reply 9
Original post by Spectrum35
One thing to bear in mind is to start some revision as soon as you start. Because gradually, the notes increase and you don't want to cram near the end of the year. Ask questions whenever you don't understand something in class and you should do fine.

Ok thanks :smile: I'll try and start as early as i can!
Original post by Pedrex
Wow thanks for the tips :smile: ! I'll try and start a normal conversation without getting awkward haha. Need to try and stay calm though that's the only thing :smile:.

Good luck starting Monday!! :smile: hope it all goes how you want it:biggrin:

No problem :smile: I'm the same, just best to feel relaxed in yourself and that will show when you talk to others. Thank you! Good luck to you too, and ditto:biggrin:
Reply 11
No problem :smile: I'm the same, just best to feel relaxed in yourself and that will show when you talk to others. Thank you! Good luck to you too, and ditto:biggrin:

Your welcome :smile: wish i could have a friend like you at my school so they keep me calm haha:h:
Original post by Pedrex
Your welcome :smile: wish i could have a friend like you at my school so they keep me calm haha:h:

Hahaha thank you :biggrin: I'm sure you'll find some amazing friends at school, the kids who like memes are the best as they always seem to make me laugh and calm me down :laugh:
Reply 13
Hahaha thank you :biggrin: I'm sure you'll find some amazing friends at school, the kids who like memes are the best as they always seem to make me laugh and calm me down :laugh:

Your welcome! :smile: yeah hope your right and same with you. Haha yeah, they are the best!! :dance:

Quick Reply

Latest