Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No friends?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I have virtually no friends. I have one bff who I text a lot but we only meet once or twice a month. I also have another friend that I text a lot but we only meet about 2-3 times a year. And then there's one more friend who I made online so we've never actually met..... I'm a 19 year old student..... Shouldn't I have more friends than this??

I have such a great self esteem like I seriously think I'm one of the greatest people there is but one problem is I just can't seem to make friends?! Does anyone have advice on this? I just don't seem to have anything in common with most people...

This sort of thing is normal. It's that period where everyone is finding themselves, paradigms are shifting and people are unsurprisingly volatile. Pick up a hobby you've always wanted to do, and be a sociable as you can. Ask people deeper questions than just small talk.

I don't have friends either so don't worry about it. I'm the loner who is always by himself

Get involved in things. Its not a numbers thing, just have good quality friends rather than fairweather ones.
    If you think you are the greatest, then maybe you are fine on your own. Make sure it doesnt spill out so people have to deal with your high opinion of yourself.

to make friends you just have to be open minded and take some risk.

It won't hurt for you to go up to people and engage in conversations.

Maybe you come across as obnoxious? There's absolutely nothing wrong with having great self esteem, it's rare for young people to have a very positive view on themselves and it's genuinely great that you do- but there can sometimes be a fine line between coming across as confident and coming across as obnoxious. You clearly find yourself interesting, but are you conveying to other people that you find them interesting too? You can both take an interest in other people and at the same time showcase your strengths and what makes you interesting.
    I think it's fairly common for young people to go through a period where they don't have a lot of friends because they have matured and therefore outgrown old friends, or because they have experienced a change of environment (college/work/uni), so there's nothing wrong with just having a handful of friends! But if you'd like more then join a class/club for something you're interested in, as that way you'll meet people with mutual interests.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.