The Student Room Group

Medicine is easy, the hardest part is getting in...

Is what my parents keep saying to get me to apply to medicine.

I don't want to do medicine and I know if I apply and by some miracle I get in, I'll drop out.

I tried Dentistry to appease them because I'm actually interested in it, but they say no, it's an easy way out.

I know I need to sit them down and speak to them but I can only muster up the courage to speak to my Mum.

I don't want to let them down because it's been their dream since I was little.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous

I don't want to do medicine and I know if I apply and by some miracle I get in, I'll drop out.

I tried Dentistry to appease them because I'm actually interested in it, but they say no, it's an easy way out.

I know I need to sit them down and speak to them but I can only muster up the courage to speak to my Mum.

Spoiler

At the end of the day, it's your life. You should never be forced into a career that you don't have a passion for, because you'll be working and studying at uni for it, not your parents. You need a deep-rooted motivation to do any career, and if you don't have it for medicine it'd be such a waste to even apply for it. The process is actually designed to gauge students with a genuine interest to prevent the number of drop-outs. And using up an application on something you don't even want to do, it's just not worth it.

I know what it can be like talking to stubborn parents, but maybe try convincing your mum first and tell her that you'd rather stick at a career of your choice then drop out of a career of your parent's choice...because success isn't getting into medicine, it's doing well in the career path you end up at. Good luck :h:

I know you respect your parents, but you shouldn't feel the need to live according to their dream. Do what you want and, I can assure you, you won't regret it. Your parents are there to guide you, that's all.
I made the mistake of bowing to parental pressure. Apparently YOU HAVE TO GET A DEGREE. I started graphic design and knew I hated it from week 1. If I had stopped then it would only have cost me admin fees. Instead I went through most of the year with depression and zeros adding to the student loan debt. I quit when I just wanted to die. Once I figured out it was healthcare where my heart and skills would truly be fulfilled it almost ruined my chances because I was a drop out.

Life is long enough that you can get back on track after a string of mistakes but it's also a long time to be miserable. Try forge a career in something that could make you happy, or at least make decisions that don't close doors for you. Be brave, be mature, and carefully explain your reasons for doing what you want to do to your parents. I certainly wouldn't want a doctor that wasn't interested in medicine, that the only reason that were there in front of me was to please their parents. Explain it's not a fear of failure or hard work but a fundamental belief that it isn't right for you (for whatever reasons are true).

A baby is an empty vessel you can pour your hopes and expectations into and sure you can guide them but chances are, by adulthood, they won't be what you imagined. It's not a fault, it's okay to be different and its also okay for your parents to feel confused and upset because they probably think their guidance is absolutely right for you. It's now up to you to teach them a bit more about yourself if you think they horribly misunderstand you . My daughter is so far away from what I imagined my child would be but I hope I can keep accepting that as she gets older.
That complete crap. The hard part comes when you're doing the long hours, the added stress, the difficult patients etc.

OP they're just saying that so they can coerce you to apply then hope when you're on the course you'll just accept this is your future and not complain about not wanting to do medicine and stick it out.
Are they doctors themselves?
If the answer to that is no then they have no clue what they're talking about when they're going round saying medicine is easy it's just the application that is hard

Spoiler

Well, it is just memorisation at the end of the day.

Seems legit.
Reply 6
live for yourself, not your parents
Reply 7
Thanks for the response guys, deep inside I know what needs to be done it's just so difficult because it's basically their worst nightmare for me (apart from dying) not to do Medicine.

I don't know what they will do (whether they will support me or not), so i'm thinking about Degree Apprenticeships in Science/IT, since I have the A-Levels for it, and they pay me enough salary to live off whereas student loans do not.

If I do this I keep my doors open so I will hopefully be able to a masters or a PhD in a subject I want to do, since I don't think i'llbe able to make up my mind for January.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending