The Student Room Group

Gcse/a level/uni qualifications advice!

Hey all!
Im wanting to redo my GCSES, actually do my a levels, and go to uni.
I want to do Biological Science. Is there anyone here who is doing this as a mature student (i am 20), and what qualifications did you get in with?
If you did it at home, how did you work around it in terms of maybe moving out or part time work while doing it?
With A levels, did you do them or did you do the equivalent? What are the equivalent?
I live in Leeds so i want to go to Leeds uni and i want to go the right way about it.
I know ill need to resit English, Maths and Triple Science. And pass at C's at least to do A levels.

And after that, does anyone know if bio science lets me do Virology? Its a dream job.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by espii
Hey all!
I want to do Biological Science. Is there anyone here who is doing this as a mature student (i am 20), and what qualifications did you get in with?
If you did it at home, how did you work around it in terms of maybe moving out or part time work while doing it?
With A levels, did you do them or did you do the equivalent? What are the equivalent?
I live in Leeds so i want to go to Leeds uni and i want to go the right way about it.
I know ill need to resit English, Maths and Triple Science. And pass at C's at least to do A levels.

And after that, does anyone know if bio science lets me do Virology? Its a dream job.

Thanks in advance!

If you are set on Leeds as your only option, then speak to Leeds directly and find out what they want and where their graduates go on to further study/work. Each uni takes its own approach to mature students.
According to their website, Leeds accept Access to HE for Biological Sciences, with 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits. This will probably be an easier option than A levels as Access courses only take 1 year, and they are more accessible to mature students than A levels.

There's some useful information on virology here:
http://trotman.co.uk/national-careers-week-virologist/
Reply 3
Original post by espii
Hey all!

Thanks in advance!

Best option is probably to study Access to Higher Education.

This may be close to you? Just a quick Google search.

http://www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/courses-apprenticeships/departments/access-to-higher-education/

A lot of Access courses will let you take GCSE maths and english along side your Access modules. No need to take 3 years completing GCSE's and A-Levels when you could do it in one year. *
Reply 4
Original post by josh_v
Best option is probably to study Access to Higher Education.

This may be close to you? Just a quick Google search.

http://www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/courses-apprenticeships/departments/access-to-higher-education/

A lot of Access courses will let you take GCSE maths and english along side your Access modules. No need to take 3 years completing GCSE's and A-Levels when you could do it in one year. *

Thank you! I would have to do maths or science before that though because it says it is essential i have english maths and science above a C. I have english at a C but maths is E and sciences are D, e, f. Hated it in school. 5 years later i love science. -.-
Reply 5
Original post by espii
Thank you! I would have to do maths or science before that though because it says it is essential i have english maths and science above a C. I have english at a C but maths is E and sciences are D, e, f. Hated it in school. 5 years later i love science. -.-

They would probably have you take the Access Foundation course. *
Reply 6
Original post by espii

I suspect it won't be possible to bypass the GCSE requiements for either Access completion or uni entry. Most Access courses will at least want you to retake Maths to get the grade C, alongside the Access study. It's unlikely that Leeds would waive the Science grade C either, especially given the course you want to do.

But ultimately, as has been said above, you will only find out by asking Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending