The Student Room Group

Difference between B memory cells and T memory cells?

Just the question above!
Reply 1
:bump:
Reply 2
pls
Its been a while since i last done anything on immunology. I'll do my best to answer your question.

Firstly, Memory B cell recognise antigens upon 2ry exposure, they produce a specific response in which case they proliferate the growth of antibodies that are specific to the antigens found in the infection.

Whilst, T cells are also involved in the 2ry response, however, they do not proliferate the growth of antibodies in a specific manner. They are more to do with enhancing non-specific cells such as activate killer/cytotoxic t cells to kill the ALREADY INFECTED cells?

I hope this helps.
Reply 4
So do the memory T cells attach to the antigens and kind of just recognise that they are harmful and proliferate killer T cells, helper T cells and more killer T cells? Is that right?
Original post by gliitter
So do the memory T cells attach to the antigens and kind of just recognise that they are harmful and proliferate killer T cells, helper T cells and more killer T cells? Is that right?

Thats right, but remember that T cells recognise the bodies own "misbehaving" cells not the actual foreign antigens ( becuase that would only apply to B cells).

So, once the T cells recognise the infected cells, they are involved with proliferating differentiating a powerful cell-mediated immune response against that infected cell. Which, we already know is through killer T and helper T cells and so on.

Its imperative that you understand the difference between the humoural-mediated response and cell-mediated response (do some google search).

One last thing, watch Khan Academy videos on immunity on YouTube!
Reply 6
Original post by Desi_Scotsman
Thats right, but remember that T cells recognise the bodies own "misbehaving" cells not the actual foreign antigens ( becuase that would only apply to B cells).

So, once the T cells recognise the infected cells, they are involved with proliferating differentiating a powerful cell-mediated immune response against that infected cell. Which, we already know is through killer T and helper T cells and so on.

Its imperative that you understand the difference between the humoural-mediated response and cell-mediated response (do some google search).

One last thing, watch Khan Academy videos on immunity on YouTube!

Ok thank you!
Original post by gliitter
Just the question above!

I have recognised that it was given an answer to you. But maybe I am still able to give you a mnemonic.*

The common thing of those cells is that they 'got' a memory to memorise the vermins to fight against them faster and more effective. The difference are their functions:

T cells - so T memory cells too - exist to kill the vermins instantly by attacking them. B cells are producing antibodies. Those antibodies quasi 'sticks' to the vermins to attract macrophages (phagocytes to be exact). Those ones vanish the vermins by eating them up (the phagocytes really do that!).

So, here is your mnemonic: *

- T in T memory cells stands for tackle (in the sense of attacking harsh!)
- B in B memory cells stands for building (in the sense of creating antibodies) *

Hope its helpful for you. *

Quick Reply

Latest