Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Making friends at Sixth Form

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Goodness me this is such a bloody sad post to be making and I am swallowing my pride a bit to be honest in making it but here is my situation:

I have recently started at a new sixth form where there are plenty of new people (I think around 70) but at the same time the majority are carried over from Year 11.

In my old high school I knew everybody and would go out and go to parties pretty much every weekend. I was really close with my year group. I suppose I got used to this as it was my routine since mid-Year 10.

I started Sixth Form this Wednesday and so finished my third day today, and maybe I am over-reacting or over-thinking things here but I am worried about being able to make friends and get back to this sort of routine.

I have been sitting on my own in a few lessons which sort of hurts my pride/ego I guess for someone who was pretty popular in high school.

My best friend is also at the Sixth Form with me so it is not like I am a loner at lunch and break times (thank God or I couldn't cope) but I just feel like a bit of a loser to be honest.

Will this subside or is two years too short to make friends with these people and infiltrate their social circles even though they have known each other for five years already?

Firstly I would to say, I really do understand the situation you are in as it happened to me. Moved away from secondary school and no matter how much I tried at the start of sixth form, people seemed to already be in their groups and that was it.
    However, I am in my A2 year now and things have changed.
    You need to make the first step.
    Despite what people think, rather than just walking into the common room saying hi to a group of people and hoping they'll accept you you need to develop a plan.
    1) Find someone in your class who is in your desired social group
    2) Speak to that person, be super friendly.
    3) Find someone in another class who is in the same social group
    4) Speak to that person, be super friendly.
    5) These two will then hopefully speak about you in the next few days
    6) Then, walk with who ever you now know better into the.... common room
    7) Hope they'll let you sit with their group, you've made it, you are in !
    8) The next day, bring your best friend over.
    9) Sorted
    10) If step 7 fails, try over.

From personal experience. Trial and error. Seriously though, things can only get better.

All the best,
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.