The Student Room Group

Should I give Oxbridge a try?

I have just received my AS results of AA in Maths and Gov Pol and AAB for Further Maths (can't calculate full AS as I took one A2 module in first year). My GCSEs were 6A*, 2A, 1B (3rd in school). I was considering UCL, LSE, Warwick and still not decided for other two, for Economics. Wanted to apply to for Cambridge, but didn't get the UMS, so should I apply for Oxford Economics and Management? And if so, what should I replace it with? Also, it would really helpful if any others who applied for this course could talk about the grades they got and how they got in

(P.S. I am taking History, Economics, Further Maths, Maths (have dropped Gov Pol with A grade achieved))
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mathcon
I have just received my AS results of AA in Maths and Gov Pol and AAB for Further Maths (can't calculate full AS as I took one A2 module in first year). My GCSEs were 6A*, 2A, 1B (3rd in school). I was considering UCL, LSE, Warwick and still not decided for other two, for Economics. Wanted to apply to for Cambridge, but didn't get the UMS, so should I apply for Oxford Economics and Management? And if so, what should I replace it with? Also, it would really helpful if any others who applied for this course could talk about the grades they got and how they got in

(P.S. I am taking History, Economics, Further Maths, Maths (have dropped Gov Pol with A grade achieved))

pro tip: the university is called Oxford m8 (not Oxbridge)
quick edit well done
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mathcon

What do you mean you didn't get the UMS for cambridge economics? They understand that everyone has off days, what's more important is their economics admissions test and the interview
Reply 3
Original post by amelienine
What do you mean you didn't get the UMS for cambridge economics? They understand that everyone has off days, what's more important is their economics admissions test and the interview

Well, I mean that I didn't get 90% average UMS. Considering, that don't you think Oxford E&M would be better?
Original post by mathcon
Well, I mean that I didn't get 90% average UMS. Considering, that don't you think Oxford E&M would be better?

Are you talking about your UMS for the Maths modules? Do you remember what your individual scores were for each module?

I did the whole Maths A level in one year and the average came out to be an 84 UMS because one of my A2 modules was in the 60s, so that brought down the average by a lot. If you list down the individual scores they might be able to see that you can score very highly in certain modules, and if you have good reasoning for why didn't do so well in others, they might still be able to give you a shot. I've heard of people being called for interviews with their UMS in the 80s. This is Economics after all and not Maths you're applying for, and although there is an element of Maths in Economics, there are still a lot of other important factors that can and should be taken into account, such as your understanding of how markets work, how good you are at forming a valid argument etc. You still have the Economics Admissions Test too, and I hear that they're relying more heavily on that and the interview rather than AS results. Are you planning on retaking certain modules?

And to answer your question: If you're worried about your UMS being a limiting factor than maybe apply for Oxford. To be honest, I'm actually in the exact same position as you, I got so so UMS for Maths but it was still an A. I'm also considering Oxford but I'm leaning more towards Cambridge because they're offering a pure Economics course, and I don't know if I'd be prepared to answer questions about management during the interview. I also thought about admission rates and for economics at Cambridge, it's about 15%, at Oxford it's about 7% meaning that Oxford is a lot more selective on who they pick. They've both got their pros and cons.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Are you talking about your UMS for the Maths modules? Do you remember what your individual scores were for each module?

I did the whole Maths A level in one year and the average came out to be an 84 UMS because one of my A2 modules was in the 60s, so that brought down the average by a lot. If you list down the individual scores they might be able to see that you can score very highly in certain modules, and if you have good reasoning for why didn't do so well in others, they might still be able to give you a shot. I've heard of people being called for interviews with their UMS in the 80s. This is Economics after all and not Maths you're applying for, and although there is an element of Maths in Economics, there are still a lot of other important factors that can and should be taken into account, such as your understanding of how markets work, how good you are at forming a valid argument etc. You still have the Economics Admissions Test too, and I hear that they're relying more heavily on that and the interview rather than AS results. Are you planning on retaking certain modules?

My UMS were in 90s for C1 C2, but M1 brought me down with a C. For Further Maths, I only had four months to study, as I started in Jan, so I got in the mid-80s for FP1 D1 but mid-70 for FP2. Not planning on retaking as it would too much of a hassle with 12 exams already
Original post by mathcon
My UMS were in 90s for C1 C2, but M1 brought me down with a C. For Further Maths, I only had four months to study, as I started in Jan, so I got in the mid-80s for FP1 D1 but mid-70 for FP2. Not planning on retaking as it would too much of a hassle with 12 exams already

You could list down the fact that you only had 4 months to study as an extenuating factor. What kind of school do you go to by the way? And has anyone else in your school been to Oxbridge?
Reply 7

And to answer your question: If you're worried about your UMS being a limiting factor than maybe apply for Oxford. To be honest, I'm actually in the exact same position as you, I got so so UMS for Maths but it was still an A. I'm also considering Oxford but I'm leaning more towards Cambridge because they're offering a pure Economics course, and I don't know if I'd be prepared to answer questions about management during the interview. I also thought about admission rates and for economics at Cambridge, it's about 15%, at Oxford it's about 7% meaning that Oxford is a lot more selective on who they pick. They've both got their pros and cons.

You could list down the fact that you only had 4 months to study as an extenuating factor. What kind of school do you go to by the way? And has anyone else in your school been to Oxbridge?

Yeah, I know I was thinking the same thing. It also becomes easier when your writing your personal statement for Cambridge, as you don't need to include Management. But I also just read somewhere right now that for E&M at Oxford, they don't care that much if you only talk about Economics. I go to an A-level school, although recently they have included IB. Also, I don't think 4 months to study would qualify as an extenuating factor as I took the subject out of personal choice. So far, I think only one person ever had the chance to go for an interview but then she backed out for some reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending