The Student Room Group

What to wear in sixth form

The sixth form collage that I go to doesn't have a uniform policy and just lets us wear what we want. It's pretty easy just to wear a uniform to school every day but when you have to start wearing your own clothes you have to think about it a lot more.

I'm a slim mid-tall guy and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the type of thing to wear to look good and look cool?
Hi, my sixth form also has a no uniform policy and a lot of the guys just wear shirts with (skinny) jeans. Some guys wear tracksuits but it depends on what kind of style you prefer.
Original post by ct998
The sixth form collage that I go to doesn't have a uniform policy and just lets us wear what we want. It's pretty easy just to wear a uniform to school every day but when you have to start wearing your own clothes you have to think about it a lot more.

I'm a slim mid-tall guy and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the type of thing to wear to look good and look cool?

It really depends what others are wearing, if people are generally quite smartly dressed then you should probably follow that type of look but if they are less smart then dress accordingly!

Personally I'd wear some semi-baggy jeans and a t-shirt with some trainers. ASOS is a pretty good place to look.
Reply 3
I think college is a place of the '3 clothing rule', meaning the maximum articles of clothing should be three. As you don't want to faff around will lots of different pieces, nor do you want to be cold during class

This could be jeans, t-shirt and a plaid shirt (btw Plaid shirts- ladykiller!) Or, if you're fancy: Trousers, shirt and tie.

Either way, try not to SCREAM with style, or be the guy that wears t-shirts and black jeans everyday. Try different patterned shirts (with a comical pattern?), different colours jeans.trousers (Different colour trousers can totally change your whole look, and make it look like you have variety even if you've been wearing the same white t-shirt for 3 days)
Original post by ct998

Wear what you normally wear, my sixth form has a very lenient dress code and guys just wear T-shirts, with jeans and maybe a jacket if you want, I wear a button up.....
Reply 5
Tbh, after a week everyone starts to relax anyway.

At the start of last year I went in with a full face of makeup and my best clothes, now I don't bother with makeup and just wear whatever. I still try and look nice (ish) but everyone stopped caring
Reply 6
Depends what style you want to go for. Different groups of people wear different things, as you'd expect.

The really clever people tend to wear shirts and smart trousers and smart shoes. The 'cool' guys tend to wear skinny jeans and t-shirts from well known brands and Adidas or nike trainers. The 'smokers' wear baggy jeans with boxers showing and hoodies. Most people just seem to wear jeans and a t-shirt/polo shirt. It depends really, but as Rhomax said people only care for the first couple of weeks and then no-one really thinks about it.

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by ct998

I've finished sixth form college now and am about to start University, but those two years were the two in which I found myself in many ways including fashion and how I wanted to look. At the end of the day, it's trial and error. I could tell you to wear something that I really like and looks good on me, but you might absolutely hate it. You need to work this out for yourself. As a general idea though, skinny jeans are pretty common right now and go well with lots of things. You can find good skinny jeans at a cheap price in new look (remember to use student discount to get the price down to £18!). Vans shoes are pretty nice IMO, I've been wearing those for the past year and they look pretty decent. I also messed about with my hair a lot in college and now have it as a quiff. Get Unidays too, its a free app that gives you student discount off many shops. it's brilliant. I went to manchester arndale the other day to buy new clothes and saved about £17 in total.
If you want to look cool in good weather you wear a white T shirt, black jeans that fit nice, with some nice shoes.

Remember though 6th form isn't a fashion show.
Reply 10
Pizza.jpg
Reply 11

haha glad you approve
wear whatever you want, i dressed like a hobo to college and didnt give a shet abotu what anyone thought about me.
Reply 13
honestly no one cares about what you wear in sixthform because everyone is too busy worrying about themselves so boy just wear whatever you want
Depends on your uniform! I had to wear a black blazer..

Black blazer
Blouse
Skirt/trousers
Or smart dress
Flat shoes

Quick Reply