The Student Room Group

UEA A100 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
I emailed admissions and they said 'We review the personal statements informally during the first two rounds of screening, it is then reviewed again during the interview process.'

From this, we can say that they don't score it. It will be used, though, in the interview to base questions, and the preliminary check will likely just to be sure you have talked only about medicine, and you are serious about applying.
If you aren't completely confident about your PS, I'd say it's still worth applying, since they seem to use it minimally and just to base questions on :smile:

They also do rank you on UKCAT. I'm not sure where you're getting this information from?

You'll make an amazingly strong applicant, don't worry :biggrin:

I called admissions and they said it was roughly your predictions, your GCSEs, your PS and your overall UKCAT score. I enquired further about the UKCAT and all she said was that it was unlikely a score below 1800 would get an interview and that they don't use cutoffs but she didn't say anything about using the scores to rank applicants. I also asked about the PS but she failed to mention in was "reviewed informally" - she said they were used to score and assess candidates.
Reply 41
Original post by aRandomGuy
I called admissions and they said it was roughly your predictions, your GCSEs, your PS and your overall UKCAT score. I enquired further about the UKCAT and all she said was that it was unlikely a score below 1800 would get an interview and that they don't use cutoffs but she didn't say anything about using the scores to rank applicants. I also asked about the PS but she failed to mention in was "reviewed informally" - she said they were used to score and assess candidates.

Damn, they're being really unclear about how they process applications :lol:
They seem to be constantly giving us different information.

I think it's best have a decent UKCAT, GCSEs and predictions, but also have a decent PS and how for the best.
It's such a fantastic med school that I'm definitely applying regardless, but i think it will definitely be important to be relatively good all round :h:

Was the lady from the medicine admissions, though?
Original post by Gogregg

I think it's best have a decent UKCAT, GCSEs and predictions, but also have a decent PS and how for the best.
It's such a fantastic med school that I'm definitely applying regardless, but i think it will definitely be important to be relatively good all round :h:

Yes, I definitely called med amin

I have solid GCSEs (8A*s 2As), AAA predictions but only 630 UKCAT average and Band 2. With (hopefully) a decent PS, do I still stand a 'decent' chance for interview?
Reply 43
Yes, I definitely called med amin

I have solid GCSEs (8A*s 2As), AAA predictions but only 630 UKCAT average and Band 2. With (hopefully) a decent PS, do I still stand a 'decent' chance for interview?

Bloody hell UEA, sort yourself out! :lol:

But I think you have a decent chance, I don't know how great, but it's difficult to tell with UEA, since you are literally ranked against others and they don't seem to know their admissions process themselves...
Original post by elish2chambers
Congrats on getting in, obviously UEA is super competitive so you must have amazing stats! How did you find the whole interview process? Was it quite fair in questioning or were there many curveballs?

Also how are you finding Norwich as a city? I've never been and can't make an open day so any thoughts you have on nightlife/accommodation/safety would be fantastic!

Also if you don't mind me asking, where else did you apply?

The interview was decent. I'm a bit scared to give details, lol!

I'm new to Norwich but I've already had some great nights out, albeit those were all at pubs/clubs. As far as I know, Norwich is one of the safest cities/unis around (8th in the world, I think). Accommodation is pretty standard, not much to say there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg

When I applied, it was something along the lines of 1/3 GCSE, 1/3 UKCAT and 1/3 achieved/predicted A levels.

After interview, people whose interview score was above the cutoff got a combined UKCAT/interview ranking. The top X ranking candidates got offers.
Original post by respiringmedic
The interview was decent. I'm a bit scared to give details, lol!

I'm new to Norwich but I've already had some great nights out, albeit those were all at pubs/clubs. As far as I know, Norwich is one of the safest cities/unis around (8th in the world, I think). Accommodation is pretty standard, not much to say there.

No it's fine I totally understand.

Thanks for replying!
Original post by respiringmedic
When I applied, it was something along the lines of 1/3 GCSE, 1/3 UKCAT and 1/3 achieved/predicted A levels.

After interview, people whose interview score was above the cutoff got a combined UKCAT/interview ranking. The top X ranking candidates got offers.

When you say '1/3 predicted A Levels', do you mean they value A*A*A* over AAA?

Congrats on getting in!
When you say '1/3 predicted A Levels', do you mean they value A*A*A* over AAA?

Congrats on getting in!

Yes. '1/3' means 'one third' or roughly 33% weighting.

Cheers!
Re-post,

My stats are as follows:
GCSE - 2A*, 6A, 3B
Predicted A-levels: A*AA (Bio, Chem, Physics respectively)
Achieved A-level early: A (Maths)
UKCAT: 703

The only thing I'm quite worried about are my slightly subpar GCSE's but what do you guys think???
Reply 50
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
Re-post,

My stats are as follows:
GCSE - 2A*, 6A, 3B
Predicted A-levels: A*AA (Bio, Chem, Physics respectively)
Achieved A-level early: A (Maths)
UKCAT: 703

The only thing I'm quite worried about are my slightly subpar GCSE's but what do you guys think???

Your UKCAT will most likely make up for them :smile:
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊
Original post by nickynjoe
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊

Avoid Cardiff, you need a lot more A*s atGCSE. I think uea would be a safe bet:smile:
Reply 53
Original post by nickynjoe
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A

Hey, just a heads up, but you may get more responses if you post this in the general Medicine/Medical Schools forum as this thread is aimed at applicants who are considering UEA :wink:

Anyway, have a look at the UKCAT cut off scores for Manchester, because I heard they were around 665 last year and change year on year. Bristol places a lot of weight on the personal statement.
Thank you so much for your reply :smile: I was also considering UEA as well, just can't choose between them, there's too many!!! sorry and thank you for the advice :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Stats:

GCSE: 4A* 6A

AS: AAAA

A2 Predictions: A*AA

Ukcat: 616 :frown:

I'm also eligible to apply for the foundation year medicine at UEA and because of my ukcat I'm considering it, can anyone help me out? I think my UKCAT is too low to get an interview or offer..
Hi guys!

Thinking of applying here, love UEA.

Stats:
GCSE: 7A*s 3As
A level: ABB
Degree: 1st Biomed
UKAT: 687.5
PS: pretty good

What do people think my chances are?
Original post by nu7
Stats:

GCSE: 4A* 6A

AS: AAAA

A2 Predictions: A*AA

Ukcat: 616 :frown:

I'm also eligible to apply for the foundation year medicine at UEA and because of my ukcat I'm considering it, can anyone help me out? I think my UKCAT is too low to get an interview or offer..

Have you considered Liverpool? A score between 577-623 is estimated to be competitive (as quoted by their website). You would score full marks on GCSE and your predictions are quite good. As long as your personal statement is also good, you could get an interview.
Anyone know how much PBL there is at UEA?
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Hi guys!

Thinking of applying here, love UEA.

Stats:
GCSE: 7A*s 3As
A level: ABB
Degree: 1st Biomed
UKAT: 687.5
PS: pretty good

What do people think my chances are?

Very good chance of an interview

Original post by HopelessMedic
Anyone know how much PBL there is at UEA?

Once a week. It's supported by lectures, seminars and anatomy dissections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending