The Student Room Group

Got fired for the most ridiculous reason ever. Please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by IamJacksContempt
I think you need a sense of perspective to be honest. You're acting as if this one mistake is an indication that he isn't suitable for the job. Everyone at some point or another has made a mistake at work in some capacity.

By the sounds of your post I doubt you've ever even had a job...

Actually I'm 52 years old and have had a few jobs. Coincidentally, I currently do two shifts a week in a supermarket alongside the uni day job. Before my first shift on tills I was warned that failure to handle money correctly - even by a matter of pennies - would result in instant dismissal. Maybe your retail employer was more relaxed about such things, but mine takes this sort of error very seriously.
If the bag had a hole in it , he might have had to give the customer a discount so the bag would be worthless anyway. Who wants to put shopping in a bag with a hole in it?
Original post by Horsedobbin
If the bag had a hole in it , he might have had to give the customer a discount so the bag would be worthless anyway. Who wants to put shopping in a bag with a hole in it?

Why would the bag have a hole in it in the first place?
Reply 63
I have worked in retail on and off since i was 16 and at my current place i have been there for 3 years, everyone makes mistakes and it is natural no one is going to be perfect. I made a more serious mistake when i was on probation where a customer was paying for her credit card bill the till was locked so when the transaction went through the till obviously couldn't open so i thought it would be a good idea to do another transaction the till was open this time but as i was new i had not known that as i hadn't cancelled/refunded the first transaction the customer would potentially have been charged twice this was £300 so way bigger then this 5p. The management had to go sort it out to make sure she didn't get charged twice it was a major mistake but i am still there 3 years on at times i still forget to put money in the till or even vouchers it isn't a big deal and just to say where i work is a major retailer.
Just saw my post, its been 3 yrs lol :smile:. Its okay now he has 2 different jobs which are stable and past his probationary period
Solve the Cat problem by turning the cats out to fend for themselves by catching wild rodents. No more cat food expense.
Original post by Horsedobbin
Solve the Cat problem by turning the cats out to fend for themselves by catching wild rodents. No more cat food expense.

We have both moved out from that place and gave the cats to RSPCA. He has his own flat and I live in a student flat whilst studying at Uni, so life is all good now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending